Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 4:55am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Dropping in to say hello! »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Dropping in to say hello!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Dropping in to say hello!  (Read 851 times)
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

Dropping in to say hello!
« on: Dec 5th, 2008, 6:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey friends!  After seeing Karl's (exciting!) note about Z-Man games on BoardGameGeek, I just dropped in to see how my favorite game community is doing.  

I'm very pleased to see that Zombie is in the ladder now, and it's really exciting that new entry OpFor is at the top!

Anyway, I miss you guys and am glad the community is still thriving.   I've been away for a while - and will continue to be away for a while - because my business has grown dramatically the last few months and I'm pretty much working all the time.   But that's good news, because the resulting financial stability means I may be able to come back and pick up work on developing Zombie next year.   In June (before I vanished), I was about 75% finished converting Zombie from C to Java to make it easier for me to work on it, and I'd developed a long list of things to try to see if they resulted in strength improvements.  That list is still in my filebox waiting for the free hours to show themselves.

Sorry I haven't been around much, but I promise you Arimaa is still in my heart!
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

Re: Dropping in to say hello!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 6th, 2008, 4:14am »

Be well then ! Looking forward to have you coming back and making Zombie even scarier Smiley

Jean
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 6th, 2008, 6:34am »

It is great to hear that you are still hovering Evan, and even better to hear that your business is booming despite the tough economic times.  I look forward to having you back on a regular basis, with money in the bank Wink.

We measure the growth of the Arimaa community by games played or simultaneous logins or other forms of participation, but I think that all of our measures tend to understate the community in some way.  People like you and PMertens and robinson all drifted away due to real life, not due to getting tired of Arimaa, and therefore will probably be back some day, some way.  Our community of inactive but interested players gets larger every year, and I think we will feel the power of that passive support over time.
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #3 on: Dec 6th, 2008, 11:57am »

Nice to see you again Idahoev. Hopefully you can get some time to come back and play again as well as developing Zombie further.

Janzert
IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #4 on: Dec 6th, 2008, 5:13pm »

on Dec 6th, 2008, 6:34am, Fritzlein wrote:
It is great to hear that you are still hovering Evan, and even better to hear that your business is booming despite the tough economic times.

I think, in some ways, that it may actually help my business.  When a business is looking to cut back during a recession, an external freelancer is pretty inexpensive relative to a full-time software engineer for whom you'll need to pay salary and benefits.   Especially if what you're considering is launching a big new web application that will be have a lot of work up-front to build it but less later on.  An employee you'll have to keep paying even once there's less for him/her to do.

It also helped that a friend convinced me to switch from PHP to Ruby on Rails a year ago - the market for Rails is still pretty hot at the moment and all my biggest current jobs are referrals from him.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: Dec 7th, 2008, 11:41pm »

Nice to hear from you Evan. I was beginning to wonder what happened to you. It's good to know that things are getting better for you.  

Funny you should mention Rails. About a month ago I evaluated a bunch of web frameworks and found Rails to be the one I like the most. It's good to know someone in the Arimaa community is using it regularly.

Can't wait to have back. We really miss your input in the forum.
IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #6 on: Dec 8th, 2008, 2:06pm »

on Dec 7th, 2008, 11:41pm, omar wrote:
Funny you should mention Rails. About a month ago I evaluated a bunch of web frameworks and found Rails to be the one I like the most. It's good to know someone in the Arimaa community is using it regularly.

Feel free to email or chat me up if you need any thoughts or advice; I have over a year of professional experience in it now.  After so many years of PHP, hand-written javascript, and untested code it's really great to be using a framework that does more of the work for me and has nicely integrated unit testing.  (I use rspec with autotest for continuous testing these days).

Quote:
Can't wait to have back. We really miss your input in the forum.

And I miss contributing!  I'll be around more in the spring, I hope.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.