Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 16th, 2024, 1:39am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Passive play »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Passive play
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Passive play  (Read 1554 times)
pallab
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #1589

Passive play
« on: Dec 6th, 2008, 4:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Can the weaker player play passively and defensively and try to hold the game? does this strategy work?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Passive play
« Reply #1 on: Dec 6th, 2008, 5:02pm »

No, it doesn't work because rabbits can't retreat.  If nothing else, the stronger player will be able to pull out rabbits.  Once a rabbit is exposed, what can the weaker player do?  Let it die?  Otherwise they must cross over the board and fight on the other side to save the rabbit instead of being passive.

But anyway, it is often possible to beat a passive player without pulling out rabbits.  One can swarm forward instead and take over their traps and tie them in knots.

There was a time when I was afraid that expert defense might be unbreakable, but now it seems we have nothing to fear.
IP Logged

pallab
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #1589

« Reply #2 on: Dec 6th, 2008, 5:09pm »

Ok, what if the rabbits are hidden behind other pieces?. Is there any good example of such a game.
IP Logged
Soter
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2381

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 7th, 2008, 2:27am »

Quote:
Ok, what if the rabbits are hidden behind other pieces?. Is there any good example of such a game.

In such circumstances you may send your elephant forward, flip the guarding piece, uncover the hidden rabbit and pull it. Your opponent may attempt to build a thicker wall but this comes at expense of leaving other rabbits without shelter ( besides you can still flip  pieces ). Immo could also work - reluctance to move often makes burying less daunting a task.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #4 on: Dec 7th, 2008, 11:54pm »

Good question Palla. In fact this one has come up a few times before. As Karl mentioned offense is favored a little more than defense. If you tried to keep all your rabbits hidden behind the stronger pieces then your home traps will be very easy to invade and if that happens the situation will fell worse than having rabbits pulled.

IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 8th, 2008, 7:08am »

on Dec 6th, 2008, 5:09pm, pallab wrote:

Your question is difficult to answer because because we can't prove that defensive play is doomed.  There are too many possibilities in Arimaa.  Obviously we haven't tried them all.  There might be a purely passive strategy that works, one we haven't thought of yet, but so far we haven't found any.  In our experience to date, when one player takes the strategy of just trying not to lose, that player usually ends up at a disadvantage anyway, and the game doesn't go on forever.

I don't know of a good example of such a game, because I think generally people have given up trying to play that way.  Why would you give up all your chance of winning just to lose more slowly?  It is normal for people to only try strategies they think will work.  But maybe you will be interested in my game yesterday against arimaa_master.  He said after the game that in the opening he was just trying to stop my plans, not trying to launch any plans of his own.  Eventually he couldn't stop both my elephant-horse plans on one side and my camel plans on the other side at the same time.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/showGame.cgi?gid=90689&s=w&client =1
IP Logged

pallab
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #1589

« Reply #6 on: Dec 9th, 2008, 5:25pm »

That is an excellent example !
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #7 on: Dec 10th, 2008, 8:41am »

Palla, the best way to find the answers to the kind of questions you pose is to really try it out in a few games. The nice thing is that we now have various bots that have an aggressive style and can quickly experiment with them. You would not want to try a defensive strategy with a defensive bot Smiley

One time Bomb and Clueless (I think) got into a position where they both wanted to play defensively and the game got into hundreds of moves until David Fotland manually tweeked Bomb on the fly to make it play more aggressive.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.