Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 8:36pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Advice on Playing Fast Games »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Advice on Playing Fast Games
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Advice on Playing Fast Games  (Read 1017 times)
Weirdo87
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #3347

Advice on Playing Fast Games
« on: Apr 2nd, 2010, 1:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm working my way through the bot ladder, and I've run into a spot on it where you're only given 30 seconds for each move. I am not a very fast thinker (I routinely spend 20 minutes analysing positions most people wouldn't spend 5 minutes on), so I'm making a lot of mistakes that I wouldn't were the game set at a sane pace. I find that I'm realizing my mistakes almost as soon as I press the send button. The more developed and intricate positions become, the more likely I am to make a (ghastly) mistake and let a solid winning position slip through my fingers.

Does anyone have advice on how I can analyse positions at a faster rate, or on how I can adjust my strategy for playing at this torrid pace?
IP Logged
Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

Re: Advice on Playing Fast Games
« Reply #1 on: Apr 2nd, 2010, 3:42pm »

Well, I never had problems playing with 30s per move, but I had some problems playing with blitz (15s per move) and lightning (8s per move), I don't know if this advices are going to work for you at 30s but they helped me at 15s and 8s:

• Have a predefined strategy before you start the  game, like if you are going to play a home game just pulling pieces to your side then play for that or if you are going to do a HE attack then play for that, etc.
  • If you are in a difficult situation and where you can't see progress and time is running out just make a safe move: check for hanging pieces, check for possible frames and overprotect your traps.
  • Use the V2 client at S3 speed, is the fastest client it saves like a second per turn, it is not much for "fast" games but it is good for blitz and specially precious for lightning.
IP Logged
lostcalpolydude
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #4027

« Reply #2 on: Apr 2nd, 2010, 4:45pm »

Is Flash V2 at S3 really faster than JS at S4?

Either way, use the fastest speed available for the client you pick.  It takes about a second of your minute setup time to change every game (as silver against a bot) or none of your time to change before clicking Start as gold.
IP Logged
Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

« Reply #3 on: Apr 2nd, 2010, 4:51pm »

on Apr 2nd, 2010, 4:45pm, lostcalpolydude wrote:
Is Flash V2 at S3 really faster than JS at S4?

Yes, I think so, but is not a big difference.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #4 on: Apr 2nd, 2010, 10:04pm »

I also have a lot of difficulty at fast games. I can barely play at the Blitz speed and will probably never be able to play at Lightning speed.

Try to keep the game open and avoid complex positions. Try stabilizing the position by taking a camel hostage, framing a piece or even giving a horse hostage. Then just pull out rabbits and capture them.

Also set the animation speed to a faster speed. Every second counts. Good luck.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #5 on: Apr 3rd, 2010, 8:28am »

I had very big problems thinking on 30s per move either. When I had to play bot_akimot, Tomas had to create 20min reserve for me to give me chances to play at blitz speed with 120% filling the reserve time.  
I was not able to kill it anyway.

But if you play safe (home) strategy against bot's and the current bots are not swarming well ... you can play much faster. Don't hesitate to lose some games but remember what you did wrong. It helps to prevent the mistake in simillar game situation later almost without thinking.

I really don't know how we will play blitz games against marwin which swarms rather well. And is not trapable to elephant blockades and likes to abandon pinned pieces.

Now I can play lightning speed with bomb, but having big troubles when trying not to kill him on it's well known weakness. I thing I won just 3 such regular games.

You must thing on opponent's time in lightning games and play what you have prepared. Whenever bot playes unexpected move you are in really big troubles. I often ract one move later and it may not be sufficient.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.