Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 11:31pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « iPhone app 'Arimaa Trainer' »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   iPhone app 'Arimaa Trainer'
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: iPhone app 'Arimaa Trainer'  (Read 2427 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

iPhone app 'Arimaa Trainer'
« on: Jun 24th, 2010, 5:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It's finally here!!! The iPhone app just went live in the app store.

I would like to thank Ken, Bruno, Naveed, Osman and Aamir for helping to test it. Also Avri for helping me with writing up the description in the app store. And of course Martti for making it happen. It's been about 6 months in the making.

This app has a bot built in to allow local playing. It also has a two player mode so you can pass the device and play with a friend. It does not have an online playing mode (we planned to do that in the future, if the Safari browser continues to not be able to play in the gameroom using the JavaScript client).

For strong Arimaa players the bot in this app is not going to pose much of a challenge. It is a modified version of the bot that was contributed by Ola Hansson (available on the Downloads page). The CPU on an iPhone is not very powerful (under 600MHz) compared to desktop computers; and the RAM on an iPhone is only about 128 MB. But for beginners it is strong enough to give an exciting game and train them on the rules, the interface and some fundamental tactics. That's why we called it 'Arimaa Trainer'.

For advanced Arimaa players there is the option to play with handicap and fast timed games. The app allows moving pieces off the board during the setup stage so you don't need to use steps to suicide pieces in the first move. Also a timer can be used so you have to move quickly; but the timer only applies to you and not the bot Smiley making the game difficult even for advanced players.

Both beginners and advanced players will like the two player mode which essentially turns the app into an Arimaa game set and clock you can carry in your pocket. The app can be setup to auto-rotate the board so if sitting side by side with your opponent you can just pass the iPhone to each other and easily enter moves. The app can also be setup to auto-rotate the whole app so that if you are sitting across the table from your opponent, you can just place the iPhone or iPad on the table between you. Combining the two player mode with the timer allows for serious competitive games.

The game interface of the app is very nice. Pieces can be moved by just dragging them around and the app keeps track of how many steps have been used.

The app was tested on the iPhone, iPad and iTouch.

We priced the app at $9.99 since that's about how much the full version of chess apps are priced at. But of course there's a big difference in the size of the chess community and Arimaa community Smiley We are also planning to release a free version in about a week. But it will not have the two player mode or more levels of bot strength. The free version is intended to give people who know nothing about Arimaa a chance to learn the rules and see what the game is like.

So please try it out, rate it and write a review. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2010, 9:08pm by omar » IP Logged
knarl
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1648

Re: iPhone app 'Arimaa Trainer'
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 7:54pm »

Well done!

I'm suprised the iphone browser doesn't work with the javascript gameroom client. I thought safari was powered by web-kit, which is the open source browser project that powers the default android browser as well.

The android browser works very well. The only thing that doesn't work for me so far is the expert mode.

Maybe it would be possible/easy to write a front-end to webkit that uses the javascript client to play on the gameroom, but would look like a standalone iphone app or android app.

Cheers,
knarl.
IP Logged
fraaz101
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #4899

« Reply #2 on: Aug 7th, 2010, 9:08am »

Shocked ShockedTHAT IS SO COOL I CANT BELIEVE THEY REALLY MADE AN APP FOR ARIMAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Aug 21st, 2010, 4:32pm »

Yep, try it out if you get a chance. We had some issues with the pushing step getting registered twice, but its been fixed now.
IP Logged
mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10th, 2011, 2:37pm »

I just recently got an iPad2 and I wanted to see if it was possible to play Arimaa on it.  

So I went to the website and everything loaded fine and I played a bot game.  Everything worked fine except that in order to move pieces you have to click on the piece and then click on the square you want it to move to which is a bit tedious.

So, I was thinking it would be really neat if there was an way to play Arimaa on the iPad which would make use of the iPad's ability to swipe in order to move pieces.

Then I came across this App, but it appears to be limited in its applicability (no full-screen mode, can't play online, etc.)

So, I am wondering if a client can be made to work specifically with the iPad?  Or do you have to go the App route?
IP Logged

VinceS
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #6153

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15th, 2011, 12:49am »

Yes ... a client for the arimaa gameroom on the ipad would be great!!
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #6 on: Aug 8th, 2012, 5:12pm »

There is bug in the immobilisation detection in the application. Pushes are not considered in the test.
IP Logged

qswanger
Forum Guru

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16th, 2013, 8:59pm »

Is anyone else experiencing issues with the Arimaa Trainer app since the release of iOS7? I have the latest iPad (version 4?) and the app will now no longer let me access its menu button. Frustrating!
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2013, 9:01pm by qswanger » IP Logged
qswanger
Forum Guru

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16th, 2013, 9:10pm »

Oh, and by the way, there now seems to be an Arimaa Puzzles app in the AppStore too! Free initially, but it appears the have some in-app purchases. I downloaded it, but haven't tried it out yet.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.