Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 10:16pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Has anyone just given up on playing blitz games? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Has anyone just given up on playing blitz games?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Has anyone just given up on playing blitz games?  (Read 2943 times)
speek
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5441

Has anyone just given up on playing blitz games?
« on: Jul 16th, 2010, 6:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I find it takes at least 10 seconds just to clicky-clicky on four little arrows to make my move.  There is no time for thinking.    It's not fun in the least.
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

Re: Has anyone just given up on playing blitz game
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16th, 2010, 7:35am »

I'm sure many people gave up blitz, but on the other hand several people can play lightning games (8 seconds per move instead of 15 as in blitz). At least against Bomb which is a predictable bot for many here...
IP Logged
speek
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5441

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16th, 2010, 8:15am »

I'm just frustrated because I want to beat all the bots, but I don't think my  manual dexterity is up to the task of bots that only play blitz.  I guess I don't understand why a bot is attached to a certain time control.
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16th, 2010, 8:20am »

There is a greater variety of bot/time control combinations in this page:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/bots/index.cgi

You start a bot up from there, then sit on the table which should appear in the gameroom pretty soon.

Of course this doesn't help if your objective is to complete the bot ladder.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 16th, 2010, 8:43am »

on Jul 16th, 2010, 8:15am, speek wrote:
I'm just frustrated because I want to beat all the bots, but I don't think my  manual dexterity is up to the task of bots that only play blitz.  I guess I don't understand why a bot is attached to a certain time control.

Don't worry about beating all the bots.  The ladder is the way it is due to popular demand.  In the old days the ladder had "CC" bots that thought for two minutes per move, and in the really old days there were no blitz bots.  30 seconds per move was formerly the fastest available time control.  It turned out, however, that many people skipped the top of the bot ladder because they didn't want to play as slow as two minutes per move.  They got bored from thinking that long.  Indeed, even against the P1 and P2 bots when players had a full two minutes to think, they moved at blitz speed anyway, unnecessarily reducing the quality of their own moves, because they desired fast action.  There was an outcry for faster time controls.

That's all well and good.  I'm glad Omar changed the ladder to be more popular.  But don't let that pressure you to be like the majority.  There's no value judgment implied here; you are different from the masses and that is what it is.

on Jul 16th, 2010, 6:12am, speek wrote:
I find it takes at least 10 seconds just to clicky-clicky on four little arrows to make my move.  There is no time for thinking.    It's not fun in the least.

I recommend that you give up blitz.  Many have done so before you.  If you look at my last 100 games, you will find exactly two blitz games, one of which I lost on time due to an interface freeze.  I would not have played blitz even those two times except that it was the only opportunity I had to play the latest version of GnoBot, and I was curious.

Some people get off on the thrill of intense time pressure.  I don't.  I lead a full Arimaa existence without ever playing at blitz speed.  I don't lay awake nights regretting the heart-pounding adrenaline I am not feeling.  Don't bother, don't be upset, just play time controls you enjoy and are comfortable with.  You're truly not missing anything.
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2010, 8:53am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

speek
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5441

« Reply #5 on: Jul 16th, 2010, 9:37am »

Yes, this is the conclusion I have come to.  It's just that someone put a mountain there for me to climb, and I can't resist!  Oh well. Smiley
IP Logged
Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

« Reply #6 on: Jul 16th, 2010, 10:09am »

I have fun playing blitz and lightning games (8s) even more than 2 min games, I don't know why you spend so much time (10s) clicking on the pieces I spend like 6s, maybe you are using the client on the slowest speed, here I put some suggestions I already gave about this topic:

• Have a predefined strategy before you start the  game, like if you are going to play a home game just pulling pieces to your side then play for that or if you are going to do a HE attack then play for that, etc.  
  • If you are in a difficult situation and where you can't see progress and time is running out just make a safe move: check for hanging pieces, check for possible frames and overprotect your traps.  
  • Use the V2 client at S3 speed, is the fastest client it saves like a second per turn, it is not much for "fast" games but it is good for blitz and specially precious for lightning.  
IP Logged
speek
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5441

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16th, 2010, 11:42am »

I am just pretty slow in general.  Old and curmudgeonly and all that Smiley
IP Logged
FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16th, 2010, 12:22pm »

Also, i hear expert mode helps with speed, but i havent tried it
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #9 on: Jul 18th, 2010, 3:42pm »

on Jul 16th, 2010, 11:42am, speek wrote:

You are not slower than me.   No one is slower than me.  I've played a few "Fast" bots and could barely keep up.

I.  Am.  The.  Slowest!
Bwa.  Ha.  Haaaaa!
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #10 on: Jul 21st, 2010, 1:05pm »

Have you tried increasing the animation speed in the client. I've found that shaving a second or two off the animation speed when the opponents move is shown helps me quite a bit.
IP Logged
speek
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5441

« Reply #11 on: Jul 21st, 2010, 9:34pm »

It's no biggie.  I just have a hard time with hitting small targets with the mouse quickly.   Encroaching Parkinson's probably  Undecided
IP Logged
starjots
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #5147

« Reply #12 on: Jul 26th, 2010, 10:09pm »

on Jul 16th, 2010, 11:42am, speek wrote:

Haha, I know what you mean... blitz games to me are 'make a random move and watch the reserve time go down'

IP Logged
Weirdo87
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #3347

« Reply #13 on: Aug 22nd, 2010, 2:48am »

Hell, I've given up all game speeds but postal.
IP Logged
speek
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5441

« Reply #14 on: Aug 22nd, 2010, 1:31pm »

Yeah, me too.  One way or another, live games just don't work for me.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.