Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 8:47pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Rules: Special Situations »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Rules: Special Situations
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rules: Special Situations  (Read 2190 times)
qswanger
Forum Guru

Email

Rules: Special Situations
« on: Sep 15th, 2010, 12:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I apologize if this has been asked and addressed previously, but I was just wondering under what circumstances would it make sense to temporarily bring an opposing rabbit to goal? I couldn't think of any position where it would be desirable to do this (e.g., as a necessary defensive resource). Can someone more in the know provide a position and move sequence that demonstrates this? Thank you so much. Also, for your reference here is the actual wording of this "special situation" from the site's official rules:

"A player may push or pull the opponent's rabbit into the goal row it is trying to reach. If at the end of the turn the rabbit remains there, the player loses. However if the opponent's rabbit is moved back out of the goal row before the end of the turn, the player does not lose."

IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Rules: Special Situations
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15th, 2010, 12:39pm »

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/puzzles/show.cgi?p=p24
IP Logged

qswanger
Forum Guru

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15th, 2010, 1:25pm »

Sweet! I see that this is a totally contrived "composed" position involving zugzwang/immobilization ... I just wonder how rare something like this would be in actual play. Also, is there a specific reason *why* the decision was made to allow this (i.e., not make this an immediate win for the player whose rabbit reached the goal line, even "temporarily"). After all, pieces are immediately removed from the game once they enter an unsupported trap (not evaluated to be captured at the *end* of a turn). Just seems like an inconsistency to me. Comments? Thanks for the link.
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15th, 2010, 1:40pm »

on Sep 15th, 2010, 1:25pm, qswanger wrote:
Sweet! I see that this is a totally contrived "composed" position involving zugzwang/immobilization ... I just wonder how rare something like this would be in actual play. Also, is there a specific reason *why* the decision was made to allow this (i.e., not make this an immediate win for the player whose rabbit reached the goal line, even "temporarily"). After all, pieces are immediately removed from the game once they enter an unsupported trap (not evaluated to be captured at the *end* of a turn). Just seems like an inconsistency to me. Comments? Thanks for the link.

Consistency.

All the other rules work with positions at the end of a turn. For example, it's fine to reach a 3rd repetition in the middle of a turn. It's fine to make 2 steps which cancel each other out, but not a move that doesn't change the board.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 15th, 2010, 3:45pm »

on Sep 15th, 2010, 1:25pm, qswanger wrote:
I just wonder how rare something like this would be in actual play.

It has happened once that I know of in actual play, albeit only between bots.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=devTalk;action=display ;num=1224997312

So the rule isn't there just for completeness and consistency; it can matter in a real game!
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2010, 3:45pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.