Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 10:53pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Yet another Arimaa variation »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Yet another Arimaa variation
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Yet another Arimaa variation  (Read 2055 times)
Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

Yet another Arimaa variation
« on: Sep 24th, 2011, 3:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm sorry if this is not anything new and I missed when it was posted, but I just thought of an Arimaa varition where pieces can combine their strength to move the enemy pieces, assigning a value to the strength of each pieces, something like the Fibonacci sequence:
  • 1 for the rabbit  
  • 2 for the cat  
  • 3 for the dog  
  • 5 for the horse  
  • 8 for the camel  
  • 13 for the elephant
If a pieces has a higher strenght value that piece can pull and push opponent pieces but now a piece can give another piece more pulling power if they move in the same direction that the pulling piece is moving the next step, so lets say there is a silver dog on C4, a gold dog on D4 and a golden rabbit on E4, if the rabbit moves to F4 and the gold dog to E4, they can pull the silver dog to D4, or push it to B4 with the golden pieces ending in the C4 and D4 squares respectively, also 3 pieces can cooperate to push or pull, so a camel, a horse and a rabbit can move an elephant costing all the steps of a turn,  also weaker pieces can't receive help from stronger pieces to push or pull, a rabbit can't move an elephant with the help of an elephant , but an elephant can move an elephant with the help of a rabbit. So, what do you think?
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2011, 11:07pm by Eltripas » IP Logged
Belteshazzar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5094

Re: Yet another Arimaa variation
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24th, 2011, 7:29pm »

My first thought is that that would be too complicated.  The Arimaa rules were designed to be simple.
IP Logged
Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

« Reply #2 on: Sep 24th, 2011, 8:03pm »

on Sep 24th, 2011, 7:29pm, Belteshazzar wrote:
My first thought is that that would be too complicated.  The Arimaa rules were designed to be simple.

Yeah, I guess you are right, how do I expect people to sum one digit numbers?, I mean the elephant even got two digits!
IP Logged
Simon
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1198

« Reply #3 on: Sep 24th, 2011, 11:01pm »

Quote:
a camel, a horse and a rabbit can move an elephant costing all the steps of a turn,  also weaker pieces can't move stronger pieces, even with help, a rabbit can't move an elephant with the help of an elephant , but an elephant can move an elephant with the help of a rabbit.

contradiction? perhaps the rule is stronger pieces can't help weaker pieces do a push/pull?
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2011, 11:01pm by Simon » IP Logged
Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

« Reply #4 on: Sep 24th, 2011, 11:05pm »

on Sep 24th, 2011, 11:01pm, Simon wrote:

contradiction? perhaps the rule is stronger pieces can't help weaker pieces do a push/pull?

Oh yes, poor use of words there, what I meant is what you just said: stronger pieces can't help weaker pieces do a push/pull.
IP Logged
novacat
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #751

« Reply #5 on: Sep 25th, 2011, 8:17am »

Sounds interesting.  Looking at a game and seeing where this would apply, it looks like it would mostly be used in pushing for home trap defense.  When pulling, the piece is not frozen and could just take one step back.  Thus it seems useful mostly for immediate captures.
IP Logged

Sconibulus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4633

« Reply #6 on: Sep 25th, 2011, 9:01am »

what would happen in this situation?
   R  |
R H |
M h |
    c |

lowercase to move

could the h-c combo push one of the h-rs? could it pull the H, or would the freezing of the camel prevent it.
IP Logged

Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

« Reply #7 on: Sep 25th, 2011, 11:15am »

on Sep 25th, 2011, 9:01am, Sconibulus wrote:
what would happen in this situation?
   R  |
R H |
M h |
    c |

lowercase to move

could the h-c combo push one of the h-rs? could it pull the H, or would the freezing of the camel prevent it.

If those lines are representing the border of the board then you can't push, I'm not considering pushing more than one piece, about the pulling the horse would be frozen because at the moment of the pulling its strength would be just 7 (5+2) still weaker than the camel, if there were a dog instead  of the cat the pulling would be possible with the horse having the same value as the camel 8 (5+3), if there were another horse instead of the cat the pulling would be possible too, even the pulling of the camel.
IP Logged
leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #8 on: Dec 11th, 2011, 1:03am »

It would complicate interface development and bot development even more but I think this variant has a spice of its own. Have you tested it?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.