Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 12:06am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Home rules »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Home rules
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Home rules  (Read 4409 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: Home rules
« Reply #15 on: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 1st, 2012, 3:55am, Boo wrote:

I don't deserve the credit, chess has those ideas floating around for ages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dice_chess
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_chess

But Atomic chess doesn't have any element of hidden information. Your description did and that is what surprised me because it was so close to what I had been play testing.
IP Logged
supersamu
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7523

Re: Home rules
« Reply #16 on: Sep 10th, 2013, 12:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 6th, 2011, 5:38am, megajester wrote:

We had a number of points with which we "bought" our pieces, either 15 or 12 depending on what we felt like. Elephants were free. Camels cost 5, horses 4, dogs 3 and rabbits 1 (we didn't bother with cats). We experimented with camel + rabbits, 2 horses + rabbits, camel + 2 horses + few rabbits etc to see which setups played better against which.

We started by positioning our pieces wherever we liked along our back 2 ranks, so we would fill the second rank with our main pieces and some rabbits and put the leftover rabbits somewhere along the back rank.

I did the same thing 2 days ago, with some small changes:
- Cats are available and cost 2
- Gold and silver choose their piece alignment separetely
- The piece alignment gets revealed and gold sets up his pieces according to megajester´s rules
- Then silver sets up his pieces according to megajester´s rules and gold gets to move first, but can only take 3 steps

I played two games with a 15 points budget against my mother.  
On the first game I chose Camel, Horse and six rabbits, my mother chose two dogs, two cats and 5 rabbits.
I won the game and suggested that we try the same thing with reversed pieces and reversed colors. I won the game as well and now I have some convincing to do so I can play this Variant again.  

Interestingly, Material evaluators suggest different things:

http://arimaa.janzert.com/eval.html  

DAPE thinks gold is ahead by 0.64.
FAME thinks silver is ahead by 0.33.
HarLog thinks silver is ahead by 0.27.
(gold being the side with Elephant, Camel, a horse and six rabbits)

I think the side with the camel and horse has a big advantage. What do you think?

Some Ideas to make the Variant interesting:

(From now on, when I say "x-pt.-list", I mean 6 different piece alignments, where every piece alignment has a budget of x points)

First Idea: Player A writes x-pt.-list A, Player B writes x-pt.-list B
A D6 is rolled to see which Piece Alignment from List A Player A has to play with.  
A D6 is rolled to see which Piece Alignment from List B Player B has to play with.  

Second Idea: Player A writes x-pt.-list B, Player B writes x-pt.-list A
A D6 is rolled to see which Piece Alignment from List A Player A has to play with.  
A D6 is rolled to see which Piece Alignment from List B Player B has to play with.  

Third Idea: The players collaborate on the list and two dies are rolled, one for the piece alignment of the gold player, one for the piece alignment of the silver Player.

These are my thoughts so far.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.