Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 8:22am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « What would you ask an Arimaa Oracle? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   What would you ask an Arimaa Oracle?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What would you ask an Arimaa Oracle?  (Read 10272 times)
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

Re: What would you ask an Arimaa Oracle?
« Reply #30 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 7:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 20th, 2012, 6:18pm, clyring wrote:
No practical way, but if the answers could be obtained practically, there would be no need to ask an oracle.

We, weren't talking about the oracle. If you want to butt in a conversation, the least you could do is get up to speed on what the people are talking about or this could end up like a bad redux of an Abbot and Costello bit.
IP Logged
browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #31 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 9:51pm »

on Apr 20th, 2012, 8:23am, Arimabuff wrote:

What if it wins in 50 plus moves? You'll never know it. That means there's no practical way to discern certain winning moves from the losing ones.

I really don't know what you're trying to get at. If there are any number of winning moves, the perfect bot should return at least one of them. It doesn't matter if it wins in 3 moves or 1,000,000. It doesn't matter that it is impractical because this is a hypothetical situation.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #32 on: Apr 24th, 2012, 1:25pm »

on Apr 17th, 2012, 3:43pm, tize wrote:
A similair question: How small can you make a "perfect" arimaa bot with the current hardware?
Where I define perfect as given a position where at least one winning move exist then the bot should return a non-empty subset of those moves, and if no winning moves exist then no moves should be returned.

That's a good definition of perfect play. I think another useful definition is where the moves returned by the Oracle are sorted in order with the faster winning moves first. When no move wins they should be sorted with the slower losing moves first. Only the Oracle could achieve such super perfect play Smiley

IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #33 on: Mar 6th, 2013, 7:46am »

on Apr 3rd, 2012, 2:33pm, Adanac wrote:
According to this article lions attack elephants more often than I would have expected by attacking in packs, mostly against young, isolated elephants, and almost always at night.  It ain't easy hunting elephants  Tongue

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/reviews/life_history/risk/lion_elephant_pred ation_2006.html

Semi-relevant nature video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM
IP Logged

clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #34 on: Mar 6th, 2013, 5:29pm »

If you had looked a little bit more closely at the very post you quoted in providing that link, Fritz, you would have seen that Adanac already referred to that video. Smiley

on Apr 3rd, 2012, 2:33pm, Adanac wrote:
And this is getting waaay off topic but check out "Battle at Kruger" on YouTube for a wild video clip involving lions.

(Or is that why you provided an explicit link instead of a suggestion to search?)
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #35 on: Jul 28th, 2016, 12:20am »

Just saw a link to a video of an elephant surviving an attack by fourteen lions.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2016/07/27/Cool-headed-elephant-fights-off-1 4-female-lions-in-Zambia/8571469624470/

For symmetry I want to see a video of a lion taking on fourteen elephants.  Cheesy
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.