Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 12:50am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Playing Bots Offline »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Playing Bots Offline
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Playing Bots Offline  (Read 2403 times)
Kraizy_Dave
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3008

Playing Bots Offline
« on: Apr 15th, 2012, 3:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is there a way to download a Bot to play offline?

Everytime I try to get into Arimaa I get a period where all of my games finish because I click send and my move wont send. Even on a good day I lose 6-9 seconds per move to lag- so I have had to give up blitz games.

Alternatively, it would be nice to be able to rejoin a game that finished on time and finish it off as an unrated game. At least then it isn't a complete waste of time.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Playing Bots Offline
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15th, 2012, 6:58pm »

In general the server bots aren't available for download.  I had such horrible client troubles when I first learned Arimaa that I bought Bomb just so I could play offline.

http://www.smart-games.com/arimaa.html

Now there are free bots available, but you have to figure out how to hook them up to an interface, separately available gratis.

If you want the cream of the crop you have to pay for the Challenger, bot-briareus, from rbarriera.  Unfortunately, you still have to rely on a free interface in that case, which is less than ideal.
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2012, 7:02pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Kraizy_Dave
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3008

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18th, 2012, 12:38pm »

Thanks Fritz, that is useful information.
IP Logged
Nobodo
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #8968

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30th, 2014, 8:48am »

on Apr 15th, 2012, 6:58pm, Fritzlein wrote:
In general the server bots aren't available for download.  I had such horrible client troubles when I first learned Arimaa that I bought Bomb just so I could play offline.

http://www.smart-games.com/arimaa.html

Now there are free bots available, but you have to figure out how to hook them up to an interface, separately available gratis.

If you want the cream of the crop you have to pay for the Challenger, bot-briareus, from rbarriera.  Unfortunately, you still have to rely on a free interface in that case, which is less than ideal.

I like to play offline.
The game from smart-games.com hasn't been updated since February of 2005, and they want $20 for it.  Is that the same bot as the one at the top of the bot ladder (bot_Bomb2005Fast)?

Looking on the 'downloads' page, I don't see any options for offline play that sound very challenging, or are they?

"If you want the cream of the crop you have to pay for the Challenger, bot-briareus, from rbarriera.  Unfortunately, you still have to rely on a free interface in that case, which is less than ideal."

Is it still possible to purchase bot-briareus, or possibly bot_Marwin, bot_Ziltoid, or bot_Sharp?  If so, how?

Thanks!
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 1st, 2015, 11:02am »

on Dec 30th, 2014, 8:48am, Nobodo wrote:
The game from smart-games.com hasn't been updated since February of 2005, and they want $20 for it.  Is that the same bot as the one at the top of the bot ladder (bot_Bomb2005Fast)?

Yep, it's that engine, just a different interface.

Quote:
Looking on the 'downloads' page, I don't see any options for offline play that sound very challenging, or are they?

The most challenging one is ziltoid, but the interface for offline play is very clunky; you have to enter moves in a separate window and cut to the clipboard.  I think of it only as an analysis tool.
IP Logged

Nobodo
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #8968

« Reply #5 on: Jan 8th, 2015, 4:53pm »

Thank you, Fritzlein.

Do you know if ziltoid has an api that I could program against to make a GUI for it?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 9th, 2015, 10:01am »

on Jan 8th, 2015, 4:53pm, Nobodo wrote:
Thank you, Fritzlein.

Do you know if ziltoid has an api that I could program against to make a GUI for it?

I don't know.  I recommend contacting the developer, Ricardo Barreira, through his profile page in the game room: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/message.cgi?u=4232
IP Logged

rabbits
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1337

« Reply #7 on: Jan 9th, 2015, 6:05pm »

Nobodo,

I believe that rbarreira, who programmed bot_ziltoid, used the Arimaa Engine Interface: http://arimaa.janzert.com/aei/

I made a GUI for AEI in 2010: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=devTalk;action=display ;num=1266712867;start=

It's not the best GUI in the world, but it's worth checking out.  Let us know if you do make another one!

Rabbits
IP Logged

Nobodo
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #8968

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12th, 2015, 3:00pm »

Thank you both.  I'll try again contacting rbarreira; no luck on previous attempt.

rabbits - I'll definitely check out that GUI, thank you for sharing it and the AEI documentation link!

I'll definitely post the code if I create a GUI or a mod.

Mark.
IP Logged
Nobodo
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #8968

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12th, 2015, 3:03pm »

Dumb question I forgot to ask earlier...

What are the rectangular text graphics in your footers/signatures?  i.e. one says 'ATLANTICS' and one says 'ROCKIES'.   I've noticed them on some people's posts and wondered what they represent?

Thanks,
Mark.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 12th, 2015, 4:31pm »

on Jan 12th, 2015, 3:03pm, Nobodo wrote:
What are the rectangular text graphics in your footers/signatures?  i.e. one says 'ATLANTICS' and one says 'ROCKIES'.   I've noticed them on some people's posts and wondered what they represent?

For a couple of years we amused ourselves in the off-season (i.e. between World Championship tournaments) by playing team matches in the Arimaa World League.  Each team in a match would field three players, but not necessarily their three strongest, since each team had a "ratings budget" they had to stay within or be penalized.  By all accounts the Arimaa World League was successful and fun, but it has not continued because it relied heavily on megajester to promote and administrate it.

I was on team Rockies, which was clearly the coolest team in the league, albeit seldom on top of the standings.
IP Logged

Ail
Forum Guru

Rabbits can't push Rabbits!

« Reply #11 on: Jan 21st, 2015, 8:05am »

Why did noone recommend David Wu's Android-App?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.icosahedral.arimaa& ;hl= de

It is extremely simple to install and use.

It uses a former challenger and comes with 10 difficulty-levels, that should provide enough challenge unless you are one of the top players.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.