Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 11:24pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Android App by David Wu »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Android App by David Wu
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Android App by David Wu  (Read 14657 times)
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

Re: Android App by David Wu
« Reply #15 on: Sep 30th, 2012, 2:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 8th, 2012, 4:42pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Awesome.  That's exactly why I wrote Beginning Arimaa, so to hear you say it makes me very happy.  The super thing about the Arimaa community is that as each of us contributes as he is able, it makes the game more attractive to everyone else.  The Android app just pushes back the boundaries yet further and makes the Arimaa community yet larger.

I've said it in another thread, and I'll say it again here: an obvious next step is a book of goal-in-two puzzles.  Lack of endgame material was the biggest hole in my book, and chessandgo's book only partially addressed it.  It is just unreasonable at this stage of maturity in the Arimaa community to have only 65 published puzzle positions.

Not only is the demand for a puzzle book clear, but the task is not too daunting for any developer willing to hack up an interface between a decent engine and the on-line game database.  The puzzles can be identified, ranked, and culled to a reasonable-size pool automatically.  (Actually, Omar found a huge pool of "candidate puzzles" years ago.  Most were boring and going through them by hand to find good ones was too tedious, but I believe effective winnowing could also be done algorithmically.)  Indeed, even the bulk of the typesetting could be done automatically once the positions were chosen.  (I'm old enough to want a paper format, but not such as Luddite as to realize that an electronic compilation of puzzles would have advantages, and perhaps be less daunting to a developer.)

The greatest psychological obstacle to making a puzzle book is being too ambitious and thinking that each puzzle needs explanatory text, or that the puzzles must be thematically grouped, etc., but those are all optional extras.  If any developer is even remotely interested in this project, please start a thread for it.  I'm sure I'm not the only non-developer who would chip in with ideas and assistance in making it a reality.

I want to add the ending of our WC2011 game http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/jsShowGame.cgi?gid=172760&s=w
... position before losing 35s was played. But I am not sure with comment ... was the goal in 2 the only nonlosing move? My bot seems to be too slow to finish it in reasonable time. So far after 10 hours it is in depth 4(+2) halfturns with goal race still open. Can some stronger bot analyze it? (With AEI 35g Dd6n Dd7e Re2w
35s cg6n
36g Df2w
36s rc2w Rc1n dd1w
37g dc1e Rc2s rb2e cg7s does the trick to disallow the one move by double repetition rule ... with one more repetition it will disallow by triple repetition rule ...)
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2012, 2:26pm by Hippo » IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.