Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 7:50am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Database of unique wins in 2 »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Database of unique wins in 2
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Database of unique wins in 2  (Read 14861 times)
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

Database of unique wins in 2
« on: Oct 8th, 2012, 7:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Watch this category as I fill the wiki with positions in puzzle format in which there is an (almost surely) unique move that forces goal or elimination in two (it's theoretically possible a solution isn't unique because of the possibility of immobilization).

Feel free to edit these articles, e.g. to embellish specific puzzles in some way.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

Re: Database of unique wins in 2
« Reply #1 on: Oct 9th, 2012, 10:12am »

on Oct 8th, 2012, 7:52pm, aaaa wrote:
Watch this category as I fill the wiki with positions in puzzle format in which there is an (almost surely) unique move that forces goal or elimination in two (it's theoretically possible a solution isn't unique because of the possibility of immobilization).

Feel free to edit these articles, e.g. to embellish specific puzzles in some way.

Wow, good job.
The uniqueness is itself good filtering condition.
I have opened 2 of them and they are really easy. Feature to mark easily the complicated cases would made it even better.  
(Of course I often miss moves which look easy for browni, someone could consider most of them difficult).

I will definitely look at it more closely.

Unfortunately the positions are not shown on IPhoneSad. At least on my one. Link to the static diagram would help.

Wow 16:16s is nice, was your solution generated by bot? It seemed to me blocking f5 was crucial and hf6 re8 defends otherwise. Oh I have probably wrongly read the solution ... it definitely provides several false solutions ... good composition Smiley. (I have used bot to check the solution is OK and what are the answers to the false variants.)  

I am going to add it to the puzzle collection Wink
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2012, 11:50am by Hippo » IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #2 on: Oct 9th, 2012, 12:24pm »

on Oct 9th, 2012, 10:12am, Hippo wrote:
Unfortunately the positions are not shown on IPhoneSad. At least on my one. Link to the static diagram would help.

Leo's dynamic image creation tool seems ideal to remedy this. Anyone have any particular preferences for board size and file format? Otherwise, I'm inclined to go for the maximum (500) and JPEG, respectively.

Quote:
I am going to add it to the puzzle collection Wink

I think it's a bad idea to do this repeatedly. Although positions derived from games have been added manually in the past, I expect something like a five-digit number of unique wins-in-2's and it would be nice to keep the existing puzzle collection separate so that it won't be too hard to find differently created puzzles in the future.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2012, 12:24pm by aaaa » IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #3 on: Oct 9th, 2012, 12:59pm »

on Oct 9th, 2012, 12:24pm, aaaa wrote:

Leo's dynamic image creation tool seems ideal to remedy this. Anyone have any particular preferences for board size and file format? Otherwise, I'm inclined to go for the maximum (500) and JPEG, respectively.

I think it's a bad idea to do this repeatedly. Although positions derived from games have been added manually in the past, I expect something like a five-digit number of unique wins-in-2's and it would be nice to keep the existing puzzle collection separate so that it won't be too hard to find differently created puzzles in the future.

OK seems the unique solution makes most of them interesting and there is no need for filtering.

I went to game 134 so far and I still love 16 most thanks to the interesting defense of the simillar variants. I have a feeling of a composition....

154/31 is nice as well Wink
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2012, 4:13pm by Hippo » IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #4 on: Oct 9th, 2012, 2:42pm »

on Oct 9th, 2012, 12:24pm, aaaa wrote:

The wiki diagram template (as used in past event reports) could also be an option.

Janzert
IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #5 on: Oct 9th, 2012, 3:17pm »

I can't imagine anything but links because of how already large the articles are.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #6 on: Oct 10th, 2012, 7:02am »

One more thing ... the solutions don't show in the flash view, I can read them only howering on the link.
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #7 on: Oct 10th, 2012, 2:47pm »

on Oct 10th, 2012, 7:02am, Hippo wrote:
One more thing ... the solutions don't show in the flash view, I can read them only howering on the link.

I believe you have to go to the solution link, then press the "solution" button on the left hand side (next to the viewer, not part of it) to actually get the solution movelist. Then press to "Show" in the game viewer to display it on the board.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #8 on: Oct 10th, 2012, 6:16pm »

on Oct 10th, 2012, 2:47pm, Janzert wrote:

I believe you have to go to the solution link, then press the "solution" button on the left hand side (next to the viewer, not part of it) to actually get the solution movelist. Then press to "Show" in the game viewer to display it on the board.

Oh thanks. In that case I don't understand why there are 2 links on the page ... why not using only the solution link.
Before the solution button is pressed the solution remains hidden ... and solution button on the first link does nothing.
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #9 on: Oct 10th, 2012, 9:35pm »

The reason why I did it this way was because the link that allows one to see the solution already gives it away in its URL.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #10 on: Oct 11th, 2012, 3:50am »

on Oct 10th, 2012, 9:35pm, aaaa wrote:
The reason why I did it this way was because the link that allows one to see the solution already gives it away in its URL.

Wow, I am blind ... . Get/Post problem in the cgi you don't have under controll.
One walk around would be use url's of the form adding long enough dummy constant to the url

368 has nice motif. ... Now I like using your solution links. I just don't watch the url till I am not satisfied with my solution ... than I just look at the link not replaying the solution. So this link form has it's value. ... What about using the dummy constant trick in left link and preserve the solution link?
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2012, 4:26am by Hippo » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 11th, 2012, 8:02am »

on Oct 8th, 2012, 7:52pm, aaaa wrote:

Thanks aaaa.  This is  a significant step forward from Omar's first pass at automated mining of the game database for goal puzzles.

on Oct 11th, 2012, 3:50am, Hippo wrote:
368 has nice motif. ...

If some people are willing to work through all the problems and point out the interesting ones, that is a service to those of us who enjoy a few good puzzles but don't have the commitment to do them all.  I can see value in an overlay page or subset page filtered by human judgment.
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #12 on: Oct 11th, 2012, 12:11pm »

on Oct 11th, 2012, 8:02am, Fritzlein wrote:

If some people are willing to work through all the problems and point out the interesting ones, that is a service to those of us who enjoy a few good puzzles but don't have the commitment to do them all.  I can see value in an overlay page or subset page filtered by human judgment.

Actually after first randomly opened easy puzzles, I am going through all the puzzles (now at 400). Only rarely the puzzle is really easy. The puzzles when all 4 steps are made by one rabbit (or when two rabbits on empty board reach 4th rank) seemed to be generaly easy, but I must say in one puzzle I thrown away such solution at the first glance and returned to it much later.
Sometimes the puzzles from the same game have the same solution or at least solution with the same motif.

The unique solution condition made very good prefiltering.

Ohh, aaaa declared hardware problems. I just hope it was not due to owerheating while preparing all these puzzles.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2012, 1:43pm by Hippo » IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #13 on: Oct 11th, 2012, 1:49pm »

on Oct 11th, 2012, 3:50am, Hippo wrote:
One walk around would be use url's of the form adding long enough dummy constant to the url

Not only is this a really ugly hack, the end of the URL will still show up in the status bar of certain browsers when hovering over the link.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #14 on: Oct 11th, 2012, 4:05pm »

on Oct 11th, 2012, 1:49pm, aaaa wrote:

Not only is this a really ugly hack, the end of the URL will still show up in the status bar of certain browsers when hovering over the link.

Ugly ugly, question is what you want to achieve Wink. Problems with the tail could be solved by the same hack ... just add &dummytail= ... but if a browser shows the whole link split on several lines, you can only hope the move is sufficiently hidden in the garbage Wink ... you can as well hide s= among other z=  x= with a arimaa move like context ...

I agree that post would be much better for these purposes ...

562:49g is goal in position I would not expect to happen.
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2012, 1:59am by Hippo » IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.