Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 10:56pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « terminology »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   terminology
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: terminology  (Read 5748 times)
mattj256
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8519

terminology
« on: Jun 2nd, 2013, 12:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all.  Has anyone ever used the term "bucket brigade" (or any term) for when you send the locally strongest piece (sheriff) into enemy territory, pull a piece to the middle of the board, and then use a different piece to flip it into a trap?  I was able to capture six pieces this way (*) in my game 267494 against bot_OpFor2008P2.  Surely I'm not the first person to ever use this tactic!  But I wonder if it's ever been intentionally used to systematically and efficiently capture an opponent's pieces one by one.  (Needless to say, this only works against a human beginner or an opponent who's strategically lost.   And it's probably more useful against bots than against people.)

(*) moves [11s-15s], 17s-19s, 22s-24s, 25s-26s, 27s-29s,30s-31s
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

Re: terminology
« Reply #1 on: Jun 6th, 2013, 4:15pm »

The standard thing is to call it something like "passing the b5 Rabbit off to the horse" (19s) I think. Fritz uses that kind of phrasing quite often in his commentaries I think.
IP Logged

mattj256
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8519

« Reply #2 on: Jun 6th, 2013, 11:12pm »

Thanks!
IP Logged
DannyV
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #8493

« Reply #3 on: Jun 8th, 2013, 12:50pm »

"bucket brigade" does seem to roll off the tongue a little smoother than "passing the b5 Rabbit off to the horse" for what it's worth IMO Matt!
IP Logged
crazyharry
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #7323

« Reply #4 on: Jun 8th, 2013, 1:11pm »

I like bucket brigade. Somehow it seems like it would be easier for me to look for potential bucket brigades than potential to pass the b5 rabbit to the horse. It's more fun too!
IP Logged
mattj256
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8519

« Reply #5 on: Jun 8th, 2013, 9:39pm »

Haha I'm glad you like. Smiley  Arimaa is still new enough that there's plenty of room for new strategy/tactics/terminology.  Hopefully this thread will inspire others to think: what are some common patterns or setups that happen, and what would be a good name for them?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.