Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:10am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Playability sans computer rule enforcement? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Playability sans computer rule enforcement?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Playability sans computer rule enforcement?  (Read 1126 times)
jevans
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #9516

Playability sans computer rule enforcement?
« on: Mar 16th, 2014, 6:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here is a question especially for experienced players who have occasion to play on a physical board without computers involved: is the absence of a computer enforcing rules (especially frozen pieces) an issue in practice?  I just discovered Arimaa this month, so I have only played about 10 games (loving it so far).  I've found myself missing the transitory effects of freezing, especially partway through the steps of a move.  Is this an oversight that diminishes with experience, or does it fundamentally affect playability due to rules violations that render games invalid?
IP Logged
supersamu
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7523

Re: Playability sans computer rule enforcement?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16th, 2014, 7:07pm »

I played Arimaa 6 times OTB, and had no problems spotting the cases where pieces are frozen.  
When playing online, I don't hover over the piece to see whether I can move it.

I teached Arimaa to two new players once and they played with the Z-Man Set under my supervision. After two mistakes where I had to correct them, they caught on to the freezing rules  and when one player tried to make an illegal step, the other was quick to remind him that this was not possible.

As you play more often, the freezing rule will start to feel natural to you. I don't think this will be a problem when playing with a physical set.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Playability sans computer rule enforcement?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16th, 2014, 9:10pm »

I had the same experience as you at first: it was easy to accidentally move a frozen piece.  But this is no different than when I learned chess and would make a move that would leave my king in check.  Both of these phenomena passed as I learned the respective games.

The only Arimaa rule I still have trouble enforcing with no computer help is the repetition rule.  My brain can handle the "no undo" rule, i.e. you can't reverse the move your opponent just made, but keeping track of longer cycles is beyond me without at least pencil and paper.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.