Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 8:12pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Latest android apps and game room time control »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Latest android apps and game room time control
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Latest android apps and game room time control  (Read 1127 times)
Kraizy_Dave
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3008

Latest android apps and game room time control
« on: Mar 23rd, 2014, 9:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A couple of years ago I picked up the Arimaa app that David Wu wrote for android. It is a fantastic app because it plays at a decent standard while moving fairly quickly. Have there been any new apps (or upgrades) that can play better faster?

I stopped playing in the game room because I find that the time control takes the fun out of human v bot games. The best bots use every second available to them, even if there is an obvious move. On the other hand i prefer to play quickly except when the position is interesting. In a 30 second time limit I can't enjoy the interesting positions because my time will run out (particularly if my internet connection is weak) and in a two minute game the bot will win by sending me to sleep.

Is it possessible to either set a different time control for the player and bot or to have a chess style 30 minutes per player for the whole game in the game room? I think these would be more fun for a casual player that plays at a competent level but that doesn't want to commit entire afternoons to a single game.
IP Logged
browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

Re: Latest android apps and game room time control
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23rd, 2014, 10:03am »

Have you tried playing the P2 server bots? The time control is 2m/move, but the bots (usually) move pretty quickly. Several of the bots should be strong enough to provide a challenge until you get stronger.
Also, maybe if you ask nicely, one of the developers could set up their bot with a custom time control and settings. Right now there's no way to set up custom games with server bots.
IP Logged

Kraizy_Dave
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3008

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23rd, 2014, 10:33am »

Thanks for the reply. Is there a particular P2 bot that you recommend? It has been a while since I last went on the game room. Back then some very strong new bots were emerging but were only available in quite slow games (around about when Hanzack competed in the Arimaa challenge). It could well be that some versions of them are better suited to me now.

Do you know if there have been any improvements to the apps recently?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23rd, 2014, 11:07am »

I don't think the apps have recently improved, because it is a lot of work to push a new version for only incremental changes, and at $0.99 a pop we're only talking hundreds of dollars, given the size of the Arimaa community.  That said, I expect (hope?) that lightvector will update the Android app eventually, because he is still improving the engine, and the Arimaa community is still growing.

As for playing server bots at asymmetrical time controls, browni is right about the P2 bots being your best shot.  You can start them, and see their ratings, here: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/botLadderAll.cgi

Note that the highest-rated is sharp (the engine for the android app), and that rating is under 2000.  Of course the best play from the bots will come when they have more thinking time.  I canna change the laws of physics, Cap'n.  Smiley  You may not have much more of your Arimaa career in which you can give the bot 15 seconds, yourself two minutes, and not win all the time.  After that you will have to challenge yourself by moving faster, letting the computer move slower, playing blindfold, playing human opponents, etc.

One more caveat: not all P2 bots define P2 in the same way.  To find out how quickly they move, you can click on the name of the bot, which pops up the bots profile.  In the lower left of the profile, click "Recent Games".  Choose a recent game and click on the board, which opens a client in which you can replay the game.  In the info box below the replay client it will say something like "Average move times: bot_Sharp2013P2 0.14m, cadwallon 0.98m."  That lets you know that bot_Sharp2013P2 uses about eight seconds per move, while leaving you the full two minutes.  Not every P2 bot is that speedy.

Enjoy!
IP Logged

browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23rd, 2014, 11:09am »

I would recommend playing a variety of bots near your skill level. The current ratings suggest that any of the top 8 P2 bots would be suitable. Hopefully they can be a challenge to you.

I know a couple of the P2 bots don't move quickly, but I don't remember which ones they are.

I don't think Wu has made, or is planning, any updates. He might be waiting until sharp is significantly improved. You'd have to ask him.
IP Logged

Kraizy_Dave
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3008

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23rd, 2014, 6:29pm »

Thanks everyone, particularly the suggestion of checking average move times in a bots previous game. That is a great idea.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.