Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 2:48am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Some kzb52 puzzles »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Some kzb52 puzzles
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Some kzb52 puzzles  (Read 3692 times)
kzb52
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8454

Some kzb52 puzzles
« on: Feb 18th, 2015, 9:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I like the idea of making puzzles.  It's fun!  I had a few random ideas over the last couple of weeks, and decided to make them into something.  These are hopefully just the beginning, I reserve the right to change them later (and add more, when inspiration strikes me).

In the meantime, I'd appreciate any feedback from other players.   For example, if it's useful to anyone for me to post the position as text (Ra1 rb8 etc..) let me know and I'll add those in.  "Feedback" includes improving and expanding on my ideas!  I'd love to see what you guys create.

These four puzzles are meant to be fairly easy, and "just for fun".  If you're one of those top players who can solve them quickly, please use some sort of spoiler tag and/or wait a few days before posting here.

In all the puzzles, two moves are different if the positions after they are played are distinct (so you can't get two different moves by rearranging the order of steps).  

Enjoy!

#1:  Gold to move, which silver pieces can be captured immediately? (don't worry about giving up goal, gold is lost anyway)

#2:  Gold to play, how many ways can you move the c3 silver rabbit off its current square (and what are they)? (inspired by game 317656 spcornelius-bot_Bomb2005P2)

#3:  (version 1.1) Silver to play, find the best move! (inspired by game 289132 kzb52-ocmiente)

#4:  Gold to move, how many moves end with a rabbit on f6 (and what are they)? (if you move a rabbit to f6 and it's captured instantly, it doesn't count)

« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2015, 6:08pm by kzb52 » IP Logged
supersamu
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7523

Re: Some kzb52 puzzles
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19th, 2015, 4:38am »

Here are my solutions:

Quote:

Puzzle 1:
b6, c3, c7, e2, e4

Puzzle 2:
There are 4 moves:
1.Push the b2 camel to b1,  
1.1 and then push the c3 rabbit to b3 with the silver dog, sacrificing it in the process
1.2 and then pull the c3 rabbit to c2 with the silver dog moving to c1
2. push the silver horse on d3 to d4 with the gold camel and then pull the silver rabbit from c3 to d3 with the gold camel
3. pull the silver horse on d3 to e3 with the gold camel and then push the silver rabbit on c3 to d3 with the gold elephant

Puzzle 3:
Capture the gold elephant by pulling the e7 horse to e8 with the silver camel moving to d8, and then pulling the d6 rabbit to e6 with the silver elephant ending on e7.

Puzzle 4:
There are 2 ways:  
gold elephant to d5, gold rabbit e4-e5-e6-f6;
gold horse to g7, gold elephant to e6, gold rabbit from h6 to f6

Here is how I wrote them in spoilers:
Code:
[quote][color=#DEE7EF]
text here
[/color] [/quote]

I would say that posting the position as text might be useful for more complicated puzzles.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2015, 4:40am by supersamu » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19th, 2015, 6:02am »

I think teleporting the ra5 to d8 would make problem 3 better (preventing supersamu's solution, and leaving just one strong move).
IP Logged

browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19th, 2015, 10:06am »

on Feb 19th, 2015, 6:02am, chessandgo wrote:
I think teleporting the ra5 to d8 would make problem 3 better (preventing supersamu's solution, and leaving just one strong move).

That make gold's response a little more complicated.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19th, 2015, 11:38am »

I don't understand.
IP Logged

browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19th, 2015, 12:17pm »

on Feb 19th, 2015, 11:38am, chessandgo wrote:
I don't understand.

After 1s g6n f6e e6e d6e, 2g d5n e4e h4wn or similar doesn't trouble silver because 2s e8w e7n e6n f6w gets the elephant out of the trap and on a strong square, but this is not possible with d8 occupied. It makes for more calculation, and this is supposed to be a beginner friendly puzzle.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2015, 12:17pm by browni3141 » IP Logged

kzb52
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8454

« Reply #6 on: Feb 19th, 2015, 3:38pm »

Wow, thanks for the feedback guys.  You didn't waste anytime going through these  Smiley

I've taken a closer look at #3 and tried to make it clearer.  As it stands right now it's just not good enough.  What I've done is taken the OLD puzzle 3 that is obsolete and put it here.  The new, improved version takes its place in the first post.

Bad Puzzle #3 (silver to play, find the best move)

This change renders supersamu's solution to #3 above incorrect.  His solutions for #1 and #2 are correct.  However, there is an error (which he already knows about) in his solution for #4.  I have also slightly modified #4 (replacing the f7 cat with a silver dog).

Let me know if you have any further comments/questions/concerns.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2015, 3:56pm by kzb52 » IP Logged
kzb52
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8454

« Reply #7 on: Feb 25th, 2015, 12:21pm »

Here's a couple more.  Thanks to lightvector for pointing the first one out to me and browni for helping verify the second.

#5.  Silver just played dg3w Cg2w df3s rg4s.  Gold is lost, but there is a single move for gold that delays the loss one more turn.  What is it? (this is taken directly from game 307442, harvestsnow-kzb52, move 30)

#6.  Silver to move and win in 2. (inspired by game 326132, bot_PragmaticTheory2010Blitz-bot_Jumbo)

Have fun!
IP Logged
Manuel
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4020

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26th, 2015, 4:23am »

In #6, I think ra5 should be on b5 to indeed be a win in 2. Am I right?
IP Logged
harvestsnow
Forum Guru

« Reply #9 on: Feb 26th, 2015, 7:39am »

on Feb 26th, 2015, 4:23am, Manuel wrote:
In #6, I think ra5 should be on b5 to indeed be a win in 2. Am I right?

No.

The goal works with that rabbit on either of those places.
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2015, 7:48am by harvestsnow » IP Logged
clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #10 on: Feb 26th, 2015, 5:07pm »

The only goal pattern I can see where teleporting the ra5 to b5 would seem to help is eb3ee ra3e, but gold is able to either get his camel to d2 and freeze the horse or block the goal threat by moving the Rc1 to b1 depending on where silver pushes the Rd3, so I don't think it would even create an extraneous solution.
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #11 on: Feb 26th, 2015, 6:24pm »

on Feb 26th, 2015, 5:07pm, clyring wrote:
The only goal pattern I can see where teleporting the ra5 to b5 would seem to help is eb3ee ra3e, but gold is able to either get his camel to d2 and freeze the horse or block the goal threat by moving the Rc1 to b1 depending on where silver pushes the Rd3, so I don't think it would even create an extraneous solution.

I believe a second goal does become possible if the rabbit is moved.

Edit: My bot confirms this by finding two goals.
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2015, 6:34pm by browni3141 » IP Logged

clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #12 on: Feb 26th, 2015, 7:11pm »

I see what you mean. That was very difficult to visualize while looking at the board with the rabbit still on a5.
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
robinz
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6110

« Reply #13 on: Feb 28th, 2015, 3:38am »

I'm confused by this talk, because I think I've seen a nice goal in 2, but my solution definitely wouldn't work without that rabbit on a5! (I've probably missed something though, I find it quite hard to visualise future board positions in Arimaa, which is kind of a problem in sharp endgames...)
IP Logged
kzb52
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8454

« Reply #14 on: Mar 1st, 2015, 4:05pm »

Let me try to clear up your confusion.

The puzzle as it stands (with an a5 silver rabbit) is a unique win in 2.  Find it, and you can consider my puzzle "solved".

However, if that rabbit were moved from a5 to b5, then there would be 2 wins in two (it turns out they are the original and one extra).

If that pesky rabbit was removed from the board entirely, then I don't believe there are any wins in 2.

Hopefully that helps.  If you want, feel free to post your solution.  I was hoping to have all the answers in this thread somewhere, eventually.  If you do that, I request that you use the method supersamu used earlier in this thread, so that it's not spoiled for others.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.