Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 2:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Some kzb52 puzzles »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Some kzb52 puzzles
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Some kzb52 puzzles  (Read 3691 times)
robinz
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6110

Re: Some kzb52 puzzles
« Reply #15 on: Mar 1st, 2015, 4:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Fair enough. In fact, I've just realised that I'm the rabbit being on b5 still makes my solution valid, so it could well be right. Spoilers for dicussion below:

Quote:

My solution ws the fun elephant sacrifice of Eb3e rb3e Hb2w Ec3x rc1n. I don't see any defense to his (but could be missing something, and couldn't be certain it is a unique solution, although I trust you that it is, should it be correct). My initial confusion was that I thought the rabbit on a5 was necessary to prevent the gold horse pushing its way to A4 and freezing the rabbit, leaving silver with no goal and a totally lost game, but I've only just seen that the rabbit being on b5 also prevents this by preventing the b4 cat being pushed. I don't immediately see what other solution this would allow, but now I'm reasonably confident my solution - which I came up with after just a few second - was correct.
IP Logged
kzb52
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8454

« Reply #16 on: Mar 1st, 2015, 5:48pm »

Yeah that's right  Smiley
IP Logged
kzb52
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8454

« Reply #17 on: Mar 18th, 2015, 10:15pm »

I'm thrilled that this thread is still going strong.  I have four more positions to put up here.  Keep in mind that I'm still waiting for a correct answer to puzzles 3, 4, and 5.

These puzzles are a little different than what I've posted in the past.  In fact, they aren't puzzles so much as a (incomplete) sampling of important positions.  Each board is divided into four quadrants which do not interfere with each other.  In each case, the attacking side (gold in ranks 4-8 and silver in ranks 1-4) has one rabbit.  Your task is to goal with that rabbit.

The goaling move is often not unique because a big part of the purpose isn't to provide a hard puzzle, it's to list common patterns.  Any arimaa player worth his salt should be familiar with all of these (IMHO  Wink )  I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, feel free to suggest additions, tweaks, or improvements.

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2015, 10:50pm by kzb52 » IP Logged
deep_blue
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9854

« Reply #18 on: Mar 23rd, 2015, 11:34am »

I am not worth my salt. Cry
I wasn't familiar with all of puzzles 7-10.(I guess I knew about 3/4 of them) Though it only takes a fraction of a second to find the goal so at least now I know them. Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2015, 11:35am by deep_blue » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.