Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 4:48am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Win on Score »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Win on Score
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Win on Score  (Read 5787 times)
lucky81
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #9655

Re: Win on Score
« Reply #30 on: Apr 8th, 2015, 5:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My suggestion would be this: apply the tiebreaker after 200 moves from each side, instead of after a set time limit.

This would at least remove all timing considerations from the pure logical analysis of the game, thus making the game definition more mathematically pure.

Currently, which side has winning strategy might theoretically depend on time control settings. Even worse, a viable strategy is: wait until 1 second before the game timer expires to make your last capture, opening a goal in one for the opponent. Hope that the opponent does not have time to make his response. Game outcome depends on which side can send moves to the server with more precise timing during the last second of the game. My suggestion would eliminate these problems.  

200 moves would mean that at 60s/5m time control, the longest possible game would last 6 hours 50 minutes. That's if both players use up all their available time.
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2015, 5:21pm by lucky81 » IP Logged
clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

Re: Win on Score
« Reply #31 on: Apr 8th, 2015, 5:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Some of the server documentation suggests this should be possible with the 't' suffix instead of a time in the game length limit field, but this functionality was never actually implemented and the server mostly reads '120t' as 120 hours instead of 120 turns.
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.