Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 10:32pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Arimaa android app updates »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Arimaa android app updates
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Arimaa android app updates  (Read 9022 times)
Ail
Forum Guru

Rabbits can't push Rabbits!

Re: Arimaa android app updates
« Reply #30 on: Jul 8th, 2015, 10:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Out of curiosity and hoping to learn something I had 2 AIs play against each other.

A level 9 gold vs. a level 10 silver.

Silver soon went ahead in material and forced gold to give up a framed dog in order to save a horse.

Soon silver had killed a horse, a dog and a rabbit, while gold only had a dog and a cat.

Silver had control over c3 and f6, gold had control over f3 and c6 was contested but with more material of gold nearby.

Then, out of nowhere, gold made a desperate-looking goal-attack on the a-file and succeeded after a mere 20 turns. Silver simply was spread too thin to hold it.

I was both surprised and even shocked by that. Screw material, screw trap-control, bringing a rabbit over is what wins you the game.
IP Logged
deep_blue
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9854

« Reply #31 on: Jul 8th, 2015, 6:46pm »

Well, goal ends the game so a rabbit push through is not that bad strategy when you are dead lost. Though of course that shouldn't work.

Lightvector, which sharp version plays in the app? Somehow already level 7 (= P1) is pretty good but then level 9 / P2 is still very beatable. (I haven't come around to play level 10 but so far I could beat every other level).
Also can you imagine the analyze mode that I suggested earlier?
IP Logged
lightvector
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2543

« Reply #32 on: Jul 8th, 2015, 10:17pm »

The version in the app is sharp 2012/2013 (these are the same). It's well-known that this version is quite weak at goal fights - it wasn't until 2014 that Sharp actually became good at endgames.  

Also, 2012-2014 are prone to overextending, indeed often making it feasible to win by sneaking a rabbit through after the bot advances everything and leaves nothing on defense. The newest version, 2015, is far less vulnerable to this, but swings a little back to the "too passive" side of things, but also on net is much stronger for it. Striking the right balance here is tricky. Smiley

Yes, I can imagine an analysis mode. But I'm not going to implement it right now though. It would take some work and I want to do other things first (website, online play, finish writing challenge paper, improve sharp's opening play).
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2015, 10:23pm by lightvector » IP Logged
Ail
Forum Guru

« Reply #33 on: Jul 9th, 2015, 3:02am »

Wow, all of these planned features sound totally amazing! Smiley

I'll try to put that knowledge about its weaknesses to use and beat it that way. ^^

Also what does Sharp winning the Challenge mean for the future of the game?

I'd really like to see a WCC where both bots and humans can compete.
IP Logged
Ail
Forum Guru

« Reply #34 on: Sep 1st, 2016, 7:58am »

Today I stumpled about a bug in the App, I've never seen before.

It might be connected with me having a new phone, which I got this tuesday.
On my old phone I never had this bug in approximately 100 or so games.

It was maybe the 4th or 5th game on the new phone, Level 6, me playing silver turn 12.

Problem was the AI appeared to be stuck in a loop. Usually, on the new phone on level 6 the AI moves within 2-3 seconds. But in this case I waited for over a minute before I gave up.
It is 100% reproducible with the savegame of that position.
I tried doing something different (but still viable) the turn before it happened. Same effect.

I'll give the setup, so you can try and reproduce it without the savegame:

R2CR3
2D1MRR1
RR1HD1R1
2e4R
1H5d
1m1hd1hC
2Ec1crr
rrrrrr2

Capital Letters: Gold
Minor Letters: Silver
Numbers: Empty fields on that row

Edit:
Oh, wow, after about 5 minutes it finally moved! ^^
IP Logged
lightvector
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2543

« Reply #35 on: Sep 4th, 2016, 1:23pm »

Interesting. Smiley

There used to be occasional cases in back in Sharp2012 where the qsearch exploded in the presence of certain blockade-like tactics. I suspect this is one of them. I think they're all fixed for recent sharps though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.