Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:06pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « variant idea "arimaa22" »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   variant idea "arimaa22"
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: variant idea "arimaa22"  (Read 2213 times)
Hollerschorle
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #6446

variant idea "arimaa22"
« on: May 18th, 2016, 7:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi folks,
when thinking about a variant to make the game harder for bots I had the idea of creating a wider board with more pieces. As you can see there is a new piece (please welcome the Rhino!) as second strongest piece. And yes, 11 rabbits and a third cat. And two more traps! But maybe it's not a good idea to still have a single second strongest piece because a rhino hostage would probably be too devastating. Your own rhino could roam rather freely in the opposite wing with the other elephant being really far away (compared to a camel hostage in Arimaa).
Anyway, there could be a few new interesting strategic options. What do you think?

(Of course, increasing the moves per turn to 5 or 6 would be a lot worse for bot's search depth but also quite confusing for humans. And it would change the nature of the game...)
IP Logged
ChrisB
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2339

Re: variant idea "arimaa22"
« Reply #1 on: May 18th, 2016, 1:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Looks interesting!  Although I tend to dislike making changes to an already great game, expanding arimaa to make it even more challenging for bot programmers could be very interesting.

on May 18th, 2016, 7:42am, Hollerschorle wrote:
But maybe it's not a good idea to still have a single second strongest piece because a rhino hostage would probably be too devastating. Your own rhino could roam rather freely in the opposite wing with the other elephant being really far away (compared to a camel hostage in Arimaa).

I'm guessing that a Rhino hostage wouldn't be overly devastating (compared to the camel hostage in current arimaa).  It would take a lot of time for the hostage taker to secure the hostage at the edge of the board.  During that time the hostage giver could start swarming the hostage area to hopefully free its elephant.  So, I'm guessing that a Rhino hostage could be an interesting and potentially risky strategy for both the taker and the giver.

on May 18th, 2016, 7:42am, Hollerschorle wrote:
(Of course, increasing the moves per turn to 5 or 6 would be a lot worse for bot's search depth but also quite confusing for humans. And it would change the nature of the game...)

Increasing the number of steps per turn seems like a great way to make the game more challenging for bot programmers.  Maybe that could work, without drastically changing the nature of the game, by having the board larger in both directions, the traps further apart, and a higher piece to trap ratio.  (Maybe still four traps but more pieces.) These additions would hopefully offset the ease that the additional steps would provide for capturing or goaling.  But, I guess the risk in adding steps is that the bots may overwhelm the humans in tactics for the first few plys.  Humans would need to find good long term strategies to offset that near term advantage for the bots.
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2016, 1:59pm by ChrisB » IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.