Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 9:44am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Interested in Wooden Arimaa Board and Pieces Kit? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Interested in Wooden Arimaa Board and Pieces Kit?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Interested in Wooden Arimaa Board and Pieces Kit?  (Read 2009 times)
apophis
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #10274

Interested in Wooden Arimaa Board and Pieces Kit?
« on: Jan 11th, 2019, 2:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey All,

I'm developing an Arimaa wooden board and pieces as a "you build it" kit. The board will have working traps that drop pieces below the play surface and into storage drawers! Board squares are 1.75" on the side. The pieces are very representative of the animal forms and provide a nice visual of piece wieghts. I'm planning on provided the board and pieces kits separately.

The kits will include all the precut wood components and instructions. Gluing and assembly is up to you. The game pieces also benefit from carving, shaping, sanding, and staining (or painting)... that is up to you as well, if desired.  

I will be providing all of this on http://ponoko.com/showroom/arimaa/
I will not be making any money on this. I am essentially providing the plans for free and you buy the laser cut parts from ponoko. This gives you the freedom to modify the design if desired. I expect the total cost from ponoko will be around $150 to $200.  

Does this sound interesting to anyone? I'm excited to finish the design, build it, and start playing games IRL. I'm hoping to have a working prototype in a couple months and will post the free design files after that.  

Happy playing!  
 Grin
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2019, 2:37pm by apophis » IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

Re: Interested in Wooden Arimaa Board and Pieces K
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11th, 2019, 2:37pm »

On the topic of wooden Arimaa sets, there was this Kickstarter project (with some videos about it: 1, 2).
IP Logged
apophis
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #10274

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11th, 2019, 2:40pm »

Yeah, I really liked the kickstarter project, but unfortunately the guy never followed thru on delivering boards and pieces to his supporters! Anyway, the board and game pieces I am designing look similar to those on the kickstarter project.
IP Logged
apophis
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #10274

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10th, 2019, 1:48pm »

My board build is done! The plans, pre-cut wooden components, and assembly instructions are now available at ( http://ponoko.com/showroom/arimaa/ ). The cost for the wood components comes out to about $180 for the board and $80 for the pieces.

I had a lot of fun designing and building this project. Took a few weekends of work, but was worth it. You will need some good wood clamps to properly glue the pieces together. If you want to shape the pieces like I did, you will need a Dremel... but the pieces look cool even without the shaping. The board and pieces are made out of Bamboo hardwood. I stained the board with a light walnut color. The pieces are painted with acrylic and decorated with gold and sliver leafing (it's their armor). The game pieces are weighted!  

Elephant: 44 grams
Camel: 21 grams
Horse 11 grams
Dog: 9 grams
Cat: 4 grams
Rabbit: 3 grams

See instructions at the link above for all the details. If you build a board with these plans, I would love to see your result. Please post pictures on this thread. Thanks!

IP Logged
eykca
Forum Full Member

Andrew Bressette

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12th, 2019, 12:01am »

looks incredible! I really like the idea of the traps being indented rather than simply a different color.
IP Logged

Andrew Bressette
California, USA
apophis
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #10274

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12th, 2019, 8:44pm »

Thanks @eykca. Yeah the traps actually slide open to drop pieces into the storage drawer below.
IP Logged
apophis
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #10274

« Reply #6 on: Jun 26th, 2020, 12:07pm »

I just noticed that the link to my Ponoko files is dead. Not sure how long it has been like this. I can send the design files to anyone interested.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.