Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 6:44pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Camel and Elephant moved 2 spaces forward to open »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Camel and Elephant moved 2 spaces forward to open
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Camel and Elephant moved 2 spaces forward to open  (Read 1066 times)
AstroBullivant
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #12122

Camel and Elephant moved 2 spaces forward to open
« on: Jan 30th, 2022, 10:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm interested in openings where Gold positions his camel and elephant up front in the center squares(d2 and e2 in Chess, but I don't know how squares are denoted in Arimaa). Then, one the first move, Gold moves the elephant and camel to d4 and e4. Silver then moves his elephant to split and free Gold's camel and elephant on his first move. What do you guys think about possible responses?
IP Logged
browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

Re: Camel and Elephant moved 2 spaces forward to o
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2022, 6:48pm »

The best response for each side would depend on the specifics of the setup but this isn't good for gold since he will just be forced to waste tempo retreating the camel to a safer square. Generally in the early opening the elephants are the only pieces that want to occupy the center. Non-elephant pieces get harassed too easily. The camel usually either remains flexible in the center, but not past the 3rd rank, or moves to either wing to support an attack, most frequently targeting the opponent's b/g file horse in some way.
IP Logged

AstroBullivant
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #12122

Re: Camel and Elephant moved 2 spaces forward to o
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13th, 2022, 9:01pm »

Thanks for the tip! I was thinking that Gold could use the camel and the elephant to gain control of two trap squares pretty quickly, but I'm starting to see why it isn't a good strategy. The camel is exposed and easily frozen and trapped.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.