Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 10:53pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « AWL 2011 Comments and Suggestions (Planning Stage) »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2011 Arimaa World League
(Moderators: megajester, supersamu)
   AWL 2011 Comments and Suggestions (Planning Stage)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: AWL 2011 Comments and Suggestions (Planning Stage)  (Read 20021 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: AWL 2011 Comments and Suggestions (Planning St
« Reply #135 on: Aug 6th, 2011, 7:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Although I prefer 75% reserve banking to 100% reserve banking, I lost that argument when Omar chose to make 100% the default.  I second the wisdom of using a time control that can be selected from the defaults and doesn't have to be entered as a custom time control.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #136 on: Aug 9th, 2011, 3:46am »

If woh and Eltripas don't reply within a few hours I will schedule the games for this round as usual. Then we would have to weigh the pros and cons of changing the time control mid-season.
IP Logged

woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

« Reply #137 on: Aug 9th, 2011, 5:51am »

megajester

Sorry for not replying quicker.

I agree with the change proposed by aaaa.

woh
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #138 on: Aug 9th, 2011, 6:15am »

Thanks woh.
What do you say Eltripas?
IP Logged

Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

« Reply #139 on: Aug 9th, 2011, 2:30pm »

Seems convenient, go ahead.

IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #140 on: Aug 13th, 2011, 5:51pm »

Shouldn't there also be (an) award(s) for the best game of the round and/or season?
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #141 on: Aug 15th, 2011, 1:20am »

Surely having both Player of the Round and Game of the Round would be too much...
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #142 on: Aug 15th, 2011, 12:29pm »

Perhaps in order to avoid some overlap, it could, for example, be something like "technically best game".
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #143 on: Aug 15th, 2011, 3:11pm »

I see the league rules no longer include a ratings budget penalty for substitutions.  The current rules seem to imply that the ratings of the substituted played will be used.

I must have missed the discussion leading to that decision; to me the absence of a penalty seems very open to abuse.  For example, in this round Fritzlein (2650) was paired with Nombril (2200).  What if Ring of Fire decided to substitute arimaaphile (1450) on the theory that they weren't giving away much in winning chances but were saving 750 budget points for later?  Such a substitution would be more or less equivalent to submitting a roster out of order, i.e. not having the highest-rated played on board one, etc.
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #144 on: Aug 15th, 2011, 4:09pm »

That's a very good point. I propose that what is subtracted from the budget will be the higher of the rating of the originally scheduled player and that of whoever actually played and that it's still applied with respect to this round.
IP Logged
woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

« Reply #145 on: Aug 15th, 2011, 6:13pm »

That makes sense. The higher of the ratings should be counted. Since this was the first round it is a good idea to apply the change to this round.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #146 on: Aug 15th, 2011, 7:29pm »

Hmmm... taking the higher of the two player ratings is no penalty when subbing upwards: then you get exactly what you pay for.  To make the penalty proportional to the change in player strength (i.e. the magnitude of the substitution):

(A) If the substitute is lower-rated, the cost is the rating of the original player.
(B) If the substitute is higher-rated, the cost is the rating of the substitute plus the difference between his rating and the rating of the original player.

In either case the team pays for more than they are getting, and the amount of the extra payment is equal the change in strength of player.  This seems like a simple principle, a strong enough penalty to discourage intentional, tactical substitutions, but not so punitive as to force forfeits when a sub happens to be available.
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2011, 8:00pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #147 on: Aug 16th, 2011, 11:20am »

If a substitute being higher rated is penalized anyway, then you might as well have no rating restriction whatsoever so as to maximize substitution opportunities. So, I'll change my proposal to adopt Fritzlein's formula and drop the "+100" ceiling from rules 8.1.2 and 8.2.2.
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #148 on: Aug 25th, 2011, 4:34pm »

Who won Player of the Round for round 1? Are we doing that? I think megajester mentioned it in the official announcements.

I'll nominate ocmiente for this award if no one else has been named. It looked like an uphill battle in the 40's, but he played well in a true endgame.

I have to give respect to VinceS, too, for pressing so hard against a higher rated player.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2011, 4:45pm by The_Jeh » IP Logged
megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #149 on: Aug 26th, 2011, 8:19am »

I apologize for the inconvenience to you of having to propose and debate this rule, and my delay in getting back to you. Not including this provision in this season's rules was an oversight.

If I have understood the proposal(s) correctly, they would be covered by the following rule changes (deletions struck through, additions underlined):

8.2.2 Volunteers rated no more than 100 points higher than the original player may put their name forward in the chatroom to play at the same time slot as the scheduled game. No player may serve as a substitute who was on the original roster or has already served as a substitute in the current round.  

8.3 When a substitution is made the deduction made from the teams budget is calculated as follows: If the originally rostered player's rating is higher, the originally rostered player's rating is deducted; if the substituted player's rating is higher, the substituted player's rating plus the difference between the ratings of the two players is deducted. The same deduction is made even if the substituted player forfeits.

Along with a provision from last season:

6.3.3 Managers may not overspend or underspend in any one round (ie. spend more or less than 1/6 of their total ratings budget) by more than 700 points. Exceeding this limit will be penalized by the deduction of 1 league point plus a point for every 350 rating points or part thereof in excess after the 700 point mark. This only applies to the initial roster submitted; if a substitution causes this limit to be exceeded no penalty shall be applied.

I propose that these changes take immediate effect and be applied retroactively. If accepted, Europa's budget balance will be corrected by -340 points.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.