Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 5:43pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Wrong display time »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2011 Arimaa World League
(Moderators: megajester, supersamu)
   Wrong display time
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wrong display time  (Read 2960 times)
ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

Wrong display time
« on: Nov 26th, 2011, 2:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So my game was a forfeit because the scheduled time displayed for me was 1pm. It happened to be 1pm eastern time for my opponent and 11am for me. I am positive that my computer said 1pm because I planned meetings around it. I would really like an overruling on this forfeit because I showed up at the time my screen told me to show up. I am free all day tomorrow as well.
IP Logged
ChrisB
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2339

Re: Wrong display time
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27th, 2011, 3:05am »

on Nov 26th, 2011, 2:14pm, ginrunner wrote:
So my game was a forfeit because the scheduled time displayed for me was 1pm. It happened to be 1pm eastern time for my opponent and 11am for me. I am positive that my computer said 1pm because I planned meetings around it. I would really like an overruling on this forfeit because I showed up at the time my screen told me to show up. I am free all day tomorrow as well.  

What a bummer, ginrunner!  You arranged your schedule to make the start time you saw only to find out that the game actually started two hours earlier.  

I'm certainly not unbaised, but if it can be determined that ginrunner was given an incorrect time, the best ruling seems to be to overrule the forfeit and to play the game at a mutually convenient time.  I realize that would be unfair to clyring, who did show up and had to wait, but if ginrunner was given incorrect information, a forfeit would be even more unfair.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 27th, 2011, 9:19am »

I'm afraid that, as much as it stinks to lose a game due to server error, the forfeit will have to stand.  The only person who can adjudicate server error is Omar, and Omar has not made himself available to run the Arimaa World League.  We are trying to make the AWL work as a community event that doesn't require Omar's availability, and as such a server error is in the same category as losing Internet connection: a tragedy beyond anyone's control.  In the old days we tried to make up for Internet disconnections with resumptions and or replays, but it just doesn't work out well, so now losses caused by technical difficulties outside the server always stand.  ChrisB may be right that a replay is less unfair than a forfeit, but a replay seems to be an option that requires (required) Omar's immediate intervention, which is to say that it is not an option.

Of course Omar should at some point try to debug the problem and fix his server when he has the time.  Omar doesn't want a buggy server and a lousy user experience any more than we do.  Definitely the displayed game time bug should be investigated.  But as far as the AWL per se is concerned, I believe that we Rockies are just going to have to take it on the chin this round. Sad  It's simply the difference between an Omar-organized event and a non-Omar-organized event.
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2011, 9:26am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #3 on: Nov 27th, 2011, 11:48am »

I'm experiencing as well a one-hour discrepancy between the gameroom game time and the actual time: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=siteIssues;action=disp lay;num=1321377400

It'd be nice to at least understand the reason why. In any case, be careful, next rounds are probably going to be the same.
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2011, 5:22am by chessandgo » IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 27th, 2011, 12:10pm »

I believe rule 7.4 from the official League Rules applies in principle:

7.4 If a game is terminated and/or a player loses on time due to issues within arimaa.com systems, the result shall be discarded and the game rescheduled under the same procedure outlined in 7.1, for a time within 96 hours (4 days) of the originally scheduled time. If the players cannot agree to a game time within this timeframe, one or both of the players should contact the Organizer so he and the Director can agree on a solution.

Granted, it is the spirit of this rule that applies and not the letter. And usually the procedure to be followed would be this:

4. ARBITRATION

In the case of any discrepancy or omission in the rules, the Legislators Committee will approve temporary amendments. Such amendments will usually be proposed by the Organizer. The purpose of these amendments will be to ensure the League is completed in a reasonable and fair way that rewards skill and commitment. These temporary amendments will be valid only until the end of the League, after which they will be reviewed before being incorporated into future Leagues' rules.

However around the time of the start of this season in the debate about the ratings budget, we established the implicit precedent that in time-critical situations I make the executive decision.

Therefore I hereby invoke rule 7.4 in the case of ginrunner v. clyring, pending any objections from the Legislators Committee within the next few hours. Ginrunner and clyring should agree between themselves on a gametime within 96 hours of the original gametime, ie. before Wed Nov 30 18:00:00 2011 GMT, and announce it in a forum thread. I would recommend that they cc me in their communications.

As a footnote I would also like to add that in future, when sending system emails to notify players of their gametime, I will be sending GMT times with a link to a page that helps you work out your local time from GMT.
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2011, 12:11pm by megajester » IP Logged

Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

« Reply #5 on: Nov 27th, 2011, 11:07pm »

on Nov 26th, 2011, 2:14pm, ginrunner wrote:

This is interesting because it showed up as 1 PM for me as well, and I'm on pacific time. Times have shown correctly for me previously, even after the time change... So if this was 1pm eastern time, then that's 3 hours off for what I saw as well...
IP Logged

Boo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6466

« Reply #6 on: Nov 29th, 2011, 11:10am »

My work PC displayed scheduled time correctly, but my home PC showed game time 1 hour later.
So I changed Settings-->Time zone in my home PC in such a way that it also displays correct time now.
(I calculate the real game start time based on count down timer displayed in Announcements)

P.S. For some strange reason when I change time zone in settings, the game scheduled time changes, but the local time displayed on top of the page does not change. Sad Is it a bug?
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.