Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 3:18am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Use of computers to assist analysis »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2007 One vs TheMob
(Moderators: supersamu, RonWeasley)
   Use of computers to assist analysis
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Use of computers to assist analysis  (Read 4040 times)
RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

Re: Use of computers to assist analysis
« Reply #15 on: Dec 5th, 2007, 8:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Gosh, Fritzlein, Embarassed.  Put that picture of McGonagle away before you get caught.  Anyway, I'm satisfied that the mobsters are participating in the original spirit of the contest.

The vote on three options was won by the unrestricted use of bots choice by a 10-4 margin over the others.  This looks like a mandate.

Let me ask, would anybody who voted for unrestricted use choose one of the qualified use options I omitted from this vote?  If there's three of you, we MUST vote again with the expanded choices.  If less than three, we can vote again if you ask (nicely).

Next question: Anybody think we should vote with the expanded choices anyway?  It's OK with me.  It might be fun, but I don't want to be spamming people with too many votes.  We'll do it if mobsters say they want it.

If we don't get a call for a revote by Friday, I will declare unrestricted use of bots to commence.  Remember, TheMob can decide to change this policy any time in the future.

I think chessandgo would benefit from seeing this discussion.  I should have thought of this before, but I think he should be encouraged to read and comment in this topic.  Any objections?

IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 5th, 2007, 9:52am »

OK, I admit that was a decisive preference, and the other options were in all likelihood irrelevant.  Also 14 votes is more than we get in a typical election on a move, which makes the result all the more solid.  Please pardon my pushing for an unnecessary restart.  For the record:
.    .     .     .     .     .     .     .    1.  2.  3.
1. Allow unrestricted use of bots. .     .     -  10  10
2. Allow bot analysis only by its developer.   4   -   8
3. Prohibit any use of bots. .     .     .     4   3   -

Now I am interested to see whether this vote makes any difference at all.  Mostly I expect we will point out what bots think only so that we can laugh at them.  Perhaps we won't even think it is worth the trouble to consult bots.  However, I expect that we will use computers somewhat, and that there will be some moves we waste less time on because computers refute them instantly, and other moves we pay more attention to because some bot likes them.

Just last night I spent about twenty minutes on my postal move against camelback before seeing a three-move forced horse win.  This morning, because this vote made me wonder if computers will make any difference in postal games, I fed the position to Bomb.  Bomb's quiescence search rocks; it found the material win at 8-steps search depth, i.e. in three seconds.  So Bomb would have saved me a lot of time if I had used it, although it wouldn't have changed my move.   More importantly, if camelback had used Bomb it would have saved him a horse blunder.

I don't think either side in the Mob game has blundered tactically so far, but maybe I just think that because we haven't been using computers!  Perhaps this Mob decision will be more momentous than I expect...
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2007, 10:16am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #17 on: Dec 5th, 2007, 2:13pm »

on Dec 5th, 2007, 8:42am, RonWeasley wrote:
I think chessandgo would benefit from seeing this discussion.  I should have thought of this before, but I think he should be encouraged to read and comment in this topic.  Any objections?

I had been sort of wishing that chessandgo had been able to see the topic as well. Can you as a moderator or perhaps Omar simply move it to the general discussion forum?

Janzert
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #18 on: Dec 5th, 2007, 3:38pm »

Well, we did agree a long time ago that he could look at all threads except "Move X" ones.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 5th, 2007, 5:25pm »

on Dec 5th, 2007, 3:38pm, The_Jeh wrote:
Well, we did agree a long time ago that he could look at all threads except "Move X" ones.

I agree, John.  I think we should invite him to read the thread in place.  After all, he is only on his honor not to read the "Move X" threads anyway; if he hasn't been overwhelmed by temptation to read those threads yet, I doubt he will give in just because he gets one step closer.

IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #20 on: Dec 5th, 2007, 7:20pm »

Wow, I thought I posted essentially what the last two posts said, but I don't see it.  I guessed I messed up or used disappearing letters or something.

I will invite chessandgo to read this topic through the game window.  Others are free to inform him through other means.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #21 on: Dec 9th, 2007, 11:31am »

Thanks Ron, I just read this thread. I like the fact that Janzert (and other developpers if they want to) will be able to develop their bot with the help of the Mob analysis.
This said, you guys are going to crush me without computer's help it seems ; my last hope is that Bomb's analysis will trouble you Roll Eyes

Joke apart, have fun for the rest of game !

Jean
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.