Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 10:43am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « League Feedback »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2010 Arimaa World League
(Moderators: megajester, supersamu)
   League Feedback
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  13 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: League Feedback  (Read 34703 times)
megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

League Feedback
« on: Nov 13th, 2009, 10:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is a continuation of the thread "Arimaa Team League?" originally started under the Events subfolder. Please post any new comments, ideas etc. about how the League should function to this thread, so that all the feedback can be kept in one place. Thanks.

Here is the Arimaa Team League? thread link for reference:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=events;action=display; num=1255867337
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: League Feedback
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13th, 2009, 4:00pm »

So where do the Africans and South Americans join?  Maybe, since the non-US teams are hurting for participants, we could direct South America to help out the Ring of Fire and Africa to help out Europa.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2009, 4:19pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14th, 2009, 12:44am »

Exactly. These are clubs not national teams. Anybody can play for anybody.
IP Logged

nycavri
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #2416

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16th, 2009, 11:27am »

I'm excited to play a friendly for the Yankees this week (Dec 14 - 20), but it is now the 16th and there is still no game scheduled.  I filled in 60 choices - when should we expect to find out our time slots?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16th, 2009, 3:00pm »

on Dec 16th, 2009, 11:27am, nycavri wrote:
I'm excited to play a friendly for the Yankees this week (Dec 14 - 20), but it is now the 16th and there is still no game scheduled.  I filled in 60 choices - when should we expect to find out our time slots?

Do you not see a game scheduled for you in the game room?  I see one at 22:00 Thursday Yankee time.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16th, 2009, 3:08pm »

I see Sconibulus has two games scheduled at the same time.  The only way I know of to avoid this would have been for him to change his time preferences after the first game was scheduled.  Clearly that didn't happen.

Perhaps I need to fall back on my earlier thought that we just can't have two events running at the same time.  When the World League starts up in a few months, I will not run the Continuous Tournament.  No hard feelings; I'm glad to see something new and exciting get off the ground.

To resolve the current situation, though, Nombril and Sconibulus need to get together and agree on another time for their World League game.
IP Logged

nycavri
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #2416

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16th, 2009, 6:57pm »

on Dec 16th, 2009, 3:00pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Do you not see a game scheduled for you in the game room?  I see one at 22:00 Thursday Yankee time.

Thanks, Fritz.  It wasn't there when I posted around 3.30 pm, but was by the time you replied around 7 pm . . .
IP Logged
Sconibulus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4633

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16th, 2009, 7:59pm »

Hehehe, oops, well Nombril, since I'm at fault here, I suppose you're entitled to reselect the match time. I'm available at that time on any other day, and could start up to three hours later.

If none of those work well for you, we could leave it as is, and see how well I'm able to play simultaneous games... pity I'm the same colour in both, or I could super-sneakily make you two really play eachother.
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17th, 2009, 10:37am »

I'd be happy to play a day earlier, same time.
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 17th, 2009, 10:43am »

on Dec 16th, 2009, 3:08pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Perhaps I need to fall back on my earlier thought that we just can't have two events running at the same time.  When the World League starts up in a few months, I will not run the Continuous Tournament.  No hard feelings; I'm glad to see something new and exciting get off the ground.

Personally, I don't think you have to put the Continuous Tournament on hold because one person ended up double booked.  Off the top of my head (and being ignorant of the amount of effort required), either a. reschedule a game once in awhile, or b. see how tough it would be for the scheduling tool to eliminate already scheduled time slots.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 17th, 2009, 12:21pm »

on Dec 16th, 2009, 7:59pm, Sconibulus wrote:
Hehehe, oops, well Nombril, since I'm at fault here, I suppose you're entitled to reselect the match time. I'm available at that time on any other day, and could start up to three hours later.

on Dec 17th, 2009, 10:37am, Nombril wrote:
I'd be happy to play a day earlier, same time.

Thanks guys.  I have moved Nombril vs Sconbiulus 24 hours earlier.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 17th, 2009, 12:36pm »

Nice one Fritz, sorry for not getting on it myself. Next time I'll check to make sure that none of the games I schedule clash with any other scheduled games. Maybe we can get omar to either add some code to the scheduler or give us a way of seeing which times the players have entered on the scheduler tool to help things along...
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 7th, 2010, 4:38am »

With only a month or so to the official start date of the World League, I thought it might be a good idea to slowly "iron out the creases" in preparation.

- Firstly, the Rockies still do not have a captain and the Yankees are a bit thin on the ground. Anybody volunteers to help out with either of these?

- Secondly we need to decide on how many games will be played each cycle. Captains, maybe you could ask your teammates in your team forums.

- Thirdly, and this is mostly a question for omar, is the scheduler going to be extended for all times in the week or is it going to stay as it is?

I know everybody is still busy with the WC so I'm not asking for anybody's undivided attention. It's just we don't want to rush these decisions, especially as this will be the first time for all of us, so your thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 10th, 2010, 4:02am »

on Mar 7th, 2010, 4:38am, megajester wrote:
With only a month or so to the official start date of the World League, I thought it might be a good idea to slowly "iron out the creases" in preparation.

- Firstly, the Rockies still do not have a captain and the Yankees are a bit thin on the ground. Anybody volunteers to help out with either of these?

- Secondly we need to decide on how many games will be played each cycle. Captains, maybe you could ask your teammates in your team forums.

- Thirdly, and this is mostly a question for omar, is the scheduler going to be extended for all times in the week or is it going to stay as it is?

I know everybody is still busy with the WC so I'm not asking for anybody's undivided attention. It's just we don't want to rush these decisions, especially as this will be the first time for all of us, so your thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

Update: Congratulations to ChrisB, the new captain of the Rockies.

All comments are still welcome on the remaining points. Smiley
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 7:36am »

We need to talk a bit more about the number of games to be played in each match.

A point that perhaps I should have made more clear, is that the number of games for each match must remain constant throught the entire league. The reason for this is that the points for each match are totalled on the League Table, and if we change the number of games for each match it will end up being unfair.

So basically we'll have to decide the number of games now. Take a look at the club membership: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/Club_Membership

I'm thinking it's safest if we say 3, and even then the Yankees still need a bit of support. If we have a lot of interest before the start date, however, we might be able to push 4.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  ...  13 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.