Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 8:27pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « AWLS League Co-ordinator Change »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2010 Arimaa World League
(Moderators: megajester, supersamu)
   AWLS League Co-ordinator Change
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: AWLS League Co-ordinator Change  (Read 3635 times)
megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

AWLS League Co-ordinator Change
« on: Sep 15th, 2010, 1:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear League members,

I will not be available for the final two rounds of the AWLS so  Fritzlein will take over as League Co-ordinator.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2010, 1:15pm by megajester » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: AWLS League Co-ordinator Change
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16th, 2010, 12:28am »

OK, I'll try to do it pretty much like megajester did.  There may be a slight conflict of interest if I am a player as well, but I will ask ChrisB not to field me unless he absolutely can't get three other volunteers.  Note to anyone who is thinking about joining a team: on the Rockies you get guaranteed playing time!  Smiley

As per the rules, rosters are due to me by 00:00 GMT Tuesday.  That's Monday night for me, so I will run the scheduler immediately.  There will be no e-mail to participants telling them to set preferences.  Captains, please tell your players to set their time preferences before you submit the roster to me.

I really, really dislike the rule that allows any player to unilaterally get a new time if he doesn't like his time.  That's not only a hassle, it is unfair unless the other player can then redo his preferences to get a new, new, time.  Nor due the rules limit the number of appeals per player; by the letter of the rule, it appears that the League Coordinator is obliged to keep rerunning the scheduler until 00:00 GMT Thursday.  But even limiting it to one per player is a can of worms.

I advocate that for future leagues there be no unilateral rescheduling, just as there is no unilateral rescheduling for the World Championship.  After the scheduler runs once, the game time should only be changed by mutual agreement of the two players.  However, the rules are as they are for this League, so I will abide by the inherited headache.  Hopefully nobody will abuse the loophole.  Grin
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2010, 12:34am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 20th, 2010, 7:49pm »

The Round 5 pairings are up on the Wiki but I can't yet schedule the games because I don't have access to the TD page.  I have a call in to Omar for help.  Thank you for your patience.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2010, 7:49pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 21st, 2010, 12:06am »

Round 5 games have been scheduled.  Thanks, Omar, for access to the tournament director page.  If anyone does not like his scheduled game time, I strongly encourage him to work out a mutually agreeable time with his opponent.
IP Logged

ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #4 on: Sep 21st, 2010, 11:33am »

Will you have any time for commentary this weekend, Fritz?
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 21st, 2010, 1:46pm »

Ngerhart: I'll send a message also, just in case you don't check the forum board.  Is it OK if we re-schedule our game either:

(a)  delay the start time by 24 hours to Thursday evening.

(b)  delay the start time by 2 hours to later on Wednesday?

If you can't do either of those changes, I'll still play anyway (but I'd have to skip volleyball in the current time slot Cry  )

Thanks!
Greg
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 21st, 2010, 7:09pm »

on Sep 21st, 2010, 11:33am, ocmiente wrote:

I was intending to give commentary on at least one game on Saturday, but I just acquired a nebulous commitment for the weekend, so I'm afraid I can't yet commit to commentating any specific game.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 22nd, 2010, 7:05am »

on Sep 21st, 2010, 1:46pm, Adanac wrote:
Ngerhart: I'll send a message also, just in case you don't check the forum board.  Is it OK if we re-schedule our game either:

(a)  delay the start time by 24 hours to Thursday evening.

(b)  delay the start time by 2 hours to later on Wednesday?

If you can't do either of those changes, I'll still play anyway (but I'd have to skip volleyball in the current time slot Cry  )

Thanks!
Greg

Fritzlein:  I received a PM from Ngerhart stating that we can delay our game by 24 hours.  I'll ask him to confirm this with you also.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 23rd, 2010, 3:02am »

on Sep 22nd, 2010, 7:05am, Adanac wrote:
Fritzlein:  I received a PM from Ngerhart stating that we can delay our game by 24 hours.  I'll ask him to confirm this with you also.

I received the confirmation message from ngerhart.  I have attempted to use the tournament director tool to recreate the game 24 hours later.  I can't be present at the start of the game, but I will check up on the result later Thursday night.  If something goes wrong with that, never mind, just play a game at the agreed time.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2010, 3:03am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 24th, 2010, 11:55am »

on Sep 21st, 2010, 11:33am, ocmiente wrote:

OK, I will give commentary tomorrow on Hirocon vs. Nombril.  I hope that's enough advance warning for would-be spectators to plan ahead.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 26th, 2010, 4:09pm »

Thanks to everyone who played in Round 5!  I'm thrilled that we were able to fill out the rosters and have everyone show up to play.

The championship now comes down to a climactic final-round battle between the Ring of Fire and the Atlantics.  Ring of Fire has a two point lead, but the Atlantics own the budget tiebreaker, so whichever team can win two out of three games will take the crown.

Europa can no longer win the league even with a sweep of the Rockies, unless the leaders combine for several forfeits.  If the Rockies sweep Europa, however, they can crawl out of the cellar to eke ahead of Europa for third place.  The first league finished Ring of Fire, Atlantics, Rockies, Europa; will we see a repeat?

I will make myself available to play in Round 6, but will not communicate privately with ChrisB about the roster decision.  In particular, he will have to decide who to field for the Rockies without the unfair advantage of seeing Europa's roster (which I will see).  This kind of "trust me" situation with a conflict of interest is the reason why a player should not generally also be league coordinator, but I hope the other teams can forgive a cellar-dweller for wanting his team to at least be able to fill out the roster.  Undecided
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2010, 4:10pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 4th, 2010, 7:59pm »

The pairings for the sixth and final round of the league are up.  In the decisive duel between Ring of Fire and the Atlantics, the former has a ratings edge on the top board, whereas the latter has the advantage on board three.  If those two games hold true to rating, the championship of the universe will rest entirely on the outcome of rabbits vs. Nombril.  No pressure, guys. Wink Spectators mark your calendars!  (also because two other games directly follow the critical one)

The season-long budget mechanism is working in at least one respect: every team except the Atlantics nailed their budget, which implies that three teams would have gone way over budget if permitted.

As usual, if anyone received a time slot that he can't play, the best way to resolve it is by contacting the opponent to negotiate a mutually acceptable alternate time.  My position as coordinator means that I could have abused my power to give myself a better time slot versus chessandgo, but I didn't.  Trust me.  (Actually I got a "3" preference Cry.) Thanks to the captains and players for making this league great!
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2010, 8:05pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 12th, 2010, 12:05am »

The final standings are up.  Congratulations to Nombril for pulling out a victory from the jaws of defeat in the final, thrilling, decisive game.  Congratulations to Ring of Fire on a well-deserved league triumph!  Congratulations to Europa for eking into second place by virtue of a final-round sweep.  Congratulations to the Atlantics for doing the most with the fewest rating points.  (11 wins actually tied for first with over 900 to spare in the budget.)  Congratulations to the Rockies for never forfeiting or timing out the whole season.  (You knew I was going to find a way to compliment us too!  Wink)

Thanks to the megajester and the captains for organizing, and thanks to all the players for taking part.  We now have the Arimaa Festival coming up, and then tournament season around the corner, but I hope that when summer 2011 rolls around, the Arimaa World League will be back and better than ever!
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.