Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 1:09am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « League Feedback »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2010 Arimaa World League
(Moderators: megajester, supersamu)
   League Feedback
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10  ...  13 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: League Feedback  (Read 34770 times)
megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

Re: League Feedback
« Reply #105 on: Apr 5th, 2010, 1:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Monday 5th has come and gone, and so I'm happy to announce the final draft of the rules: v2010.04.06

There are just a couple of question marks to fill in. One of course is the ratings budget which will be calculated as per the formula; nothing to worry about there. The other is rather more important, that of who will be the League Director. I had a chat with Omar about this and, seeing as the League Director really needs to be a disinterested party, we're now looking for another candidate.  

You'll notice the Backup Co-ordinator role is now separate from the Director's role. What this means is that being the League Director isn't much work at all, in fact if all goes well he shouldn't have to do anything. Smiley But if there is anybody, preferably with some experience, who won't be playing in the League who'd be prepared to be called on to "referee", please do give us a shout.

Thank you all again for your input. See you on Monday!
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #106 on: Apr 6th, 2010, 5:40am »

on Apr 5th, 2010, 1:32pm, megajester wrote:
There are just a couple of question marks to fill in. One of course is the ratings budget which will be calculated as per the formula; nothing to worry about there. The other is rather more important, that of who will be the League Director. I had a chat with Omar about this and, seeing as the League Director really needs to be a disinterested party, we're now looking for another candidate.  

You'll notice the Backup Co-ordinator role is now separate from the Director's role. What this means is that being the League Director isn't much work at all, in fact if all goes well he shouldn't have to do anything. Smiley But if there is anybody, preferably with some experience, who won't be playing in the League who'd be prepared to be called on to "referee", please do give us a shout.

Thank you all again for your input. See you on Monday!

Omar sent me a message about this.  I'm highly qualified for "not much work at all".  But I don't want the impression that I think I have a monopoly on directorships.  So I would encourage another volunteer to step forward if interested.  Otherwise, I would be happy to serve.

Because this is new, I expect a small number of cases where a ruling is needed.  I encourage the guiding principles to be deciding match outcomes over the board, avoid excessive delays, listen to advice.
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #107 on: Apr 10th, 2010, 3:09am »

So, the big day is finally just around the corner! No other candidates have stepped forward, so congratulations and thanks to RonWeasley, our League Director.

I had been talking about making some how-to videos, but seeing as we already have an introductory video I thought it would be more practical to have a League FAQ. Please do let me know if I've missed anything.

I have also created a AWL 2010 Player Ratings page. I will make a new page, "AWL 2010 Round X Official Player Ratings", for each round's official ratings.

On Monday I'll release the fixtures list, and then we'll be off!

Edit: If there is no change to the player ratings before Tuesday midnight, the ratings budget will be 34,470. FYI

League Rules: "The total ratings budget for 2010 will be ? ?, ? ? ? (calculated as follows: ? ? ? ? [average peak WHR rating of all members of all clubs as on April 12, 2010, rounded up or down to the nearest ten, + 100] x 3 players per match x 6 matches). This is designed to ensure that players of all levels get a chance to take part."

Average peak WHR rating of registered players is currently 1815.24. Rounded up or down to the nearest ten + 100 = 1915 x 3 x 6 = 34,470.
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2010, 3:31am by megajester » IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #108 on: Apr 10th, 2010, 10:55am »

on Apr 10th, 2010, 3:09am, megajester wrote:
Average peak WHR rating of registered players is currently 1815.24. Rounded up or down to the nearest ten + 100 = 1915 x 3 x 6 = 34,470.

If we're rounding to the nearest ten, shouldn't it be:

1920 x 3 x 6 = 34560 ?

I have big plans for those extra 90 points  Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2010, 10:59am by Adanac » IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #109 on: Apr 10th, 2010, 12:44pm »

on Apr 10th, 2010, 10:55am, Adanac wrote:

If we're rounding to the nearest ten, shouldn't it be:

1920 x 3 x 6 = 34560 ?

I have big plans for those extra 90 points  Wink

Quite right. Duuh. In my defence, I had just been rounding up or down league ratings to the nearest integer, m'lud. Smiley
IP Logged

azgreg
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #4723

Email

« Reply #110 on: Apr 11th, 2010, 10:33am »

This is a late question, but I just thought of it.

The rules need to cover the situation where a team has fewer players active than boards to play in a match.  For example, three boards going, but only boards 1 and 2 have players.  Board 3 is obviously a forfeit, but some rating budget cost must be paid for this.  Otherwise, a team could play two high-rating players, use zero for the third, and average out ok.  

I feel that the cost should be the rating of the lowest rated player on the team.  If it's any higher, I could simply use that lowest player in the third spot, available or not, and let him or her forfeit.  

What do you think?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #111 on: Apr 11th, 2010, 1:55pm »

I agree with a cost of the lowest-rated player on your team for your third board if you only have two active players, since that's what you could do anyway.  Along with getting 0 points for the game, it seems like an appropriate cost.  If the other team suspects you of loading up two boards and sacrificing the third, they can always field their weakest player to get an automatic three league points for a rock-bottom cost.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #112 on: Apr 11th, 2010, 3:18pm »

I think it would be good to have a provision for incomplete rosters, because forcing captains to field a player they know isn't going to make it is unfair on his opponent, who will be getting himself ready for the scheduled time. (A disadvantage to fielding your lowest player is that nobody rated higher than 100 points of him could substitute. You would be better advised to field a middle-of-the-road player so that somebody can substitute.)

How about the following addition to the current rules?:

"Incomplete Roster: In the event that the captain submits an incomplete roster, the last place(s) shall register as empty, and each shall cost that team its weakest player's rating. No substitutes are allowed."

PS #1: I also think we should say that once the League has started, any discrepancy or ommision in the rules will be resolved by the LC and LD agreeing on temporary amendments to the rules. These temporary amendments shall be valid only until the end of the league, when they will be reviewed for entry into the next league's rules.

PS #2: I think it's unfair for captains to have to roster players when they don't know what their official ratings for that round will be yet. So I've changed it to, "Rating" refers to peak WHR rating as per 00:00 GMT Monday on Week 1 of any given round.

I hope these last minute changes are OK with everybody. I'll finalize them at 00:00 GMT Thursday, so if you think there will be a problem with these adjustments please reply to this thread on or before Wednesday.

Also, don't forget to check out the Fixtures List. We are officially in Week 1 of Round 1 of the first ever Arimaa World League. Gentlemen, start your engines!
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2010, 12:05am by megajester » IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #113 on: Apr 13th, 2010, 8:46am »

on Apr 11th, 2010, 3:18pm, megajester wrote:

"Incomplete Roster: In the event that the captain submits an incomplete roster, the last place(s) shall register as empty, and each shall cost that team its weakest player's rating. No substitutes are allowed."

May want to worry about a team putting a very low rated player on the roster without intending to play him, but to take advantage of this rule.  I'll call this player the towel boy.  I don't really expect any team to actually do this, but maybe the rule should use a nominal rating (1500?) instead.
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #114 on: Apr 13th, 2010, 8:58am »

on Apr 13th, 2010, 8:46am, RonWeasley wrote:

May want to worry about a team putting a very low rated player on the roster without intending to play him, but to take advantage of this rule.  I'll call this player the towel boy.  I don't really expect any team to actually do this, but maybe the rule should use a nominal rating (1500?) instead.

That'll guarantee they use a towel boy! Think about it, if I've got a 1400-rated player...

The basic problem is the "no subs allowed" rule. But I don't know how, under the current rules, you would administer a substitution for a game that isn't scheduled. In theory a player shouldn't have to check back at all after midnight Thursday on Week 2 before his game time actually arrives (this is the reason for the rule that both players MUST agree to a reschedule otherwise the original time stands). If the opposing captain hasn't fielded a player to his table at all, he should be able to walk away with a free 3 points.

In any case I really don't think the towel boy possibility is a real issue. It's a plain old forfeit. Sure, his opponent is slightly disappointed and perhaps even a bit annoyed that his opponent didn't show up. But hey, its 3 FREE POINTS!!! All the glory with none of the gory! Smiley
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #115 on: Apr 14th, 2010, 1:55pm »

Here are the 2010 Arimaa World League Official Rules.  

Again, thanks everybody for your input. This is the first time we're doing this, so there are bound to be imperfections. Any outstanding points detected from this point forward will be handled by myself and RonWeasley, though of course with all the input we can get from you guys.

It's shaping up to be an exciting season. All the best to everyone!
IP Logged

novacat
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #751

« Reply #116 on: Apr 14th, 2010, 6:45pm »

I just noticed the rules no longer mention that two players within 50 points of one another may be switched (for table order).  I don't remember any arguments against this.  Was it left out on purpose?
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #117 on: Apr 15th, 2010, 12:13pm »

Found it!

on Mar 26th, 2010, 5:06pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Also I think the budget/subs rules in conjunction eliminate any need for switching the order of players.  Captains will have plenty of room for strategy without being allowed to shuffle the order of who plays which board.  Your original roster must be in order of rating, and if you want to shuffle it then you can pay the substitution cost.

I removed it when I made a major revamp for v2010.03.27a. It seemed a good idea to keep things simple, and nobody objected to my removing it afterwards.

Just on principle, I think we should avoid changing the goalposts now that the League has officially started and the captains have already started submitting their rosters. If you feel it would be a major problem, though, let's discuss it. Otherwise perhaps you could make a case for it before the next League.
IP Logged

novacat
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #751

« Reply #118 on: Apr 16th, 2010, 3:36am »

Thanks!
No problems here, just wondering as I have some players with very close rankings.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #119 on: Apr 20th, 2010, 9:33pm »

Would everybody who's playing in this round's matches please check in the gameroom to make sure their game times work for them. The times will be finalized from tomorrow so this is your last chance to get it changed!

Thanks.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10  ...  13 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.