Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 5:18am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « "Rematch in case of forfeit" issue »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2010 Arimaa World League
(Moderators: megajester, supersamu)
   "Rematch in case of forfeit" issue
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: "Rematch in case of forfeit" issue  (Read 7273 times)
megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

Re: "Rematch in case of forfeit" issue
« Reply #15 on: May 28th, 2010, 10:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear League members,

Thank you for all your feedback. In the end, while certain changes to the rules may be beneficial for future seasons, the simple fact that we are halfway through the current League means that any change to what has already been agreed upon is a bad idea. It undermines the reliability of the rules. We risk being inconsistent and unfair, not to mention the potential for added complications and impracticality.

So, after much deliberation RonWeasley and I have agreed to the following:

"AMENDMENT C: Unless otherwise stated, the implementation and outcome of the rules are final and binding, and may not be re-negotiated even with the consent of the party or parties that stand to be disadvantaged by such re-negotiation."

(Click here for the full text of the League Rules.)

We hope you can appreciate the reasons for our decision, and would agree that we are acting fairly and consistently.

All your views and feedback are always most appreciated. We wish you all the best in the rest of the League!
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #16 on: May 28th, 2010, 5:24pm »

First let me confirm, as league director (LD), that I concur with the league coordinator (LC) that the forfeit by Sanzo to Korhil stands.  My clearest motivation for this decision is that the substitution rule covers this situation and would be invalidated if later make-up games were permitted.

Second, I want to express my belief that both Sanzo and Korhil acted in good faith in an attempt to improve the league experience by playing the game.  The fact that this did not turn out as intended does not reflect badly on them in my view.  On the contrary, I applaud their good sportsmanship and their grace during the ensuing discussion.  I think the clarification resulting from this has been beneficial and that these questions would inevitably have been raised in the future.

Finally, a related issue brought up here is planning for rules revision for the next league (AWL) cycle.  Specifically I would like to see the rules more clearly define the role of the LD.  Currently, some decisions are said to be referred to the LC and the LD.  I don't see any provision for a case where the LC and LD disagree.  This is different from the WC where the TD's rulings are binding.

One possibility would be to eliminate the position of LD entirely.  The LC doesn't play for a team and can therefore claim impartiality.  AWL rule authority would be in a single person so the potential disagreement issue would be solved.  A practical consideration is that megajester has had trouble reaching me and, I'm sure out of expediency, has given me credit for concurrance on amendments B and C that I don't deserve.  This highlights another difference between AWL and WC in that megajester has no personal stake in AWL outcomes (besides the satisfaction from its success) while Omar has a lot of money on the line in the WC and Challenge.  So the WC needs a separate authority if Omar is to be the coordinator.  AWL does not if the LC is already impartial.

That said, I am happy to continue to offer whatever ambiguous assistance I can as LD to help AWL continue its success.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #17 on: May 28th, 2010, 6:16pm »

I would have not problem with megajester having final say on everything to do with Arimaa World League, without the need for RonWeasley to be league director.  As Ron points out, megajester has no potential conflict of interest as a captain or player, and no financial interest, so his only interest is the success of the AWL.  In this context an independent voice is not necessary to give the AWL credibility.

This is far different from the Arimaa Challenge, in which it is important that someone validate that Omar doesn't twist the rules to save his prize money, and the World Championship where it is important that someone validate that Omar doesn't advance his interests as a contender for the crown.

This is not to say that megajester shouldn't consult with Ron (or all of us) about rules and procedure.  From the way the AWL has worked so far, I don't expect any decisions to be handed down that haven't been discussed to death beforehand.  Ultimately, though, there has to be a final authority, and to me it makes more sense for that to be megajester than Ron.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #18 on: May 28th, 2010, 10:35pm »

Thank you both very much for your confidence.  

When discussing the AWL in the beginning, I was mindful of the fact that I am a relatively new face here at the Arimaa community, an unknown quantity if you will. I thought the League members might not have taken too well to me proposing a rule that gave me a free hand in adding whatever rules I see fit. So I proposed that there should be a position of LD as a confidence-building measure. Ron is quite right that there is no provision for the event that we disagree; I suppose I had such faith in my negotiating skills and willingness to compromise that I was sure it wouldn't be a problem.

I want to have a reputation for consistency and fairness, which is why I slavishly consult Ron whenever there's an amendment, even if it's blindingly obvious. For the same reason, Ron, I'm afraid I will continue to disturb you periodically until the end of the League. Smiley I'm discussing a more structured decision-making process with Omar at the moment, so changes will likely be made in the next League.
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #19 on: May 29th, 2010, 3:21am »

on May 28th, 2010, 5:24pm, RonWeasley wrote:
Second, I want to express my belief that both Sanzo and Korhil acted in good faith in an attempt to improve the league experience by playing the game.  The fact that this did not turn out as intended does not reflect badly on them in my view.  On the contrary, I applaud their good sportsmanship and their grace during the ensuing discussion.

I want to second this point, I hope Sanzo and Korhil have not taken any of this discussion personally.  What they decided made perfect sense for an individual game.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #20 on: May 29th, 2010, 10:45am »

I also applaud the sporting behavior of the players involved, particularly Korhil.  There's never anything wrong with playing a game of Arimaa instead of not playing it!  This thread was just about trivial stuff like procedures and scores.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #21 on: May 29th, 2010, 1:46pm »

I too would like to thank Sanzo and Korhil for their patience. I hope my manner didn't come across as being abrasive, none of it was meant as criticism. Through most of the debate I was quite stressed trying to work out all the possible repercussions and how to prevent them, and unfortunately stress can often detract from my people skills.  

Both players have shown fine sportsmanship in the worthy tradition of the Arimaa community. After all it's that more than airtight rules that will guarantee the success of the League. Well done guys, and thanks.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.