Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 16th, 2024, 5:35pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Radio Czar Wanted! »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2011 Arimaa World League
(Moderators: megajester, supersamu)
   Radio Czar Wanted!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  5 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Radio Czar Wanted!  (Read 12077 times)
megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

Re: Radio Czar Wanted!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18th, 2011, 12:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Nov 18th, 2011, 11:51am, chessandgo wrote:
Hmm I find an "upload button" but when I choose the file, nothing appears, and it doesn't seem to upload. Wasn't there a way to connect with a FTP client?

It does upload it just takes a while.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 18th, 2011, 1:10pm »

on Nov 18th, 2011, 11:51am, chessandgo wrote:
Hmm I find an "upload button" but when I choose the file, nothing appears, and it doesn't seem to upload. Wasn't there a way to connect with a FTP client?

How big is your file?  My memory is of a raw capture ~1GB, which I compressed down to ~50MB before uploading.  But my memory gets more unreliable every year. Tongue
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #17 on: Nov 18th, 2011, 1:58pm »

yes indeed, 1GB. How do you compress it?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 18th, 2011, 4:43pm »

I honestly don't remember what I did, but I notice that I have Audacity 1.3.13 installed, and that seems to have the capability.  http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
I encoded into mp3 format, and I think 128 bitrate was overkill (i.e. left the file unnecessarily big), but I am not sure what lower bitrate is good enough.
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2011, 4:45pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #19 on: Nov 18th, 2011, 5:10pm »

Alright, thanks for the info. I used 92 (er 90-something), getting a 65 MB file.

on Nov 18th, 2011, 12:02pm, megajester wrote:

It does upload it just takes a while.

I wasn't patient enough, thanks! (well, with a 1GB file I suppose I had to be uber-patient). The 65MB file did upload, it seems to be working ok! The very beginning sounds a bit weird, I was desperately trying to cut the radio feedback / TS "user joined channel" things, but overall I think it went alright (besides the ending which is a tiny bit dry ^^). I was very relieved when Greg joined!
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2011, 5:42pm by chessandgo » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #20 on: Nov 18th, 2011, 8:24pm »

Thanks, Jean, for your persistence to get the encoding and upload.  I just finished listening to the whole recording: you and Greg make a great commentary team.  I particularly enjoyed hearing about all the tactics I missed, but it was by no means just dry analysis.  You both have a talent for making the game seem alive and engaging.  It is a treat for me to hear the commentary in retrospect, and I think a great treat for the community to hear live.
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #21 on: Nov 19th, 2011, 2:12am »

You can count on me as commentator for future games assuming that you are interested but not before the first week of December as I have a lot on my plate right now. Would that be helpful?
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #22 on: Nov 19th, 2011, 5:23am »

Thanks for the kind words! Btw, how do you prevent these annoying "channel switched" type sounds in TS? I still can't find how Sad
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #23 on: Nov 19th, 2011, 8:15am »

on Nov 19th, 2011, 2:12am, Arimabuff wrote:
You can count on me as commentator for future games assuming that you are interested but not before the first week of December as I have a lot on my plate right now. Would that be helpful?

Certainly that would be helpful.  That will include the last three weeks of the AWL season.  But I won't put you down for commentary arbitrarily; I'll wait for you to volunteer for a specific game.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #24 on: Nov 19th, 2011, 8:18am »

on Nov 19th, 2011, 5:23am, chessandgo wrote:
Thanks for the kind words! Btw, how do you prevent these annoying "channel switched" type sounds in TS? I still can't find how Sad

Yes, under Settings->Options->Notifications you can go in and uncheck everything.  It's a hassle to find which sounds correspond to the annoying noises, and I don't see a global option to not have any notifications at all, so I simply unchecked everything in sight.  (Obviously I need to do it on my relay computer too, or it won't do any good for you to disable your notifications.  Tongue)

[EDIT] Oh now I see that under sound pack there is an option for "sounds deactivated", so that's what I now have the relay set for.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2011, 9:11am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #25 on: Nov 19th, 2011, 9:10am »

on Nov 17th, 2011, 1:28pm, Nombril wrote:
I can *probably* get up in time to give commentary on the novacat vs. woh game.

Well done Nombril!  It's no easy task filling the airwaves for a 57-move game when you are flying solo.  The fact that the peak of twelve listeners came late in the broadcast, after novacat was ahead by five pieces, is testament to your ability to keep things interesting.  A dozen listeners is a fantastic audience; I seem to recall talking to three or five for World Championship matches that weren't top board...
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2011, 11:57am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #26 on: Nov 19th, 2011, 10:41am »

I did uncheck everything I could think of and select the "sounds deactivated" things, to no avail. I'll give it another go.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #27 on: Nov 20th, 2011, 12:27pm »

Thanks for the commentary, Adanac, and thanks for the video capture, megajester.  I just watched the flv: the sound and video quality are no problem at all.  Adanac, you were informative and entertaining as always.  I really like the concept of capturing the game room chat along with the audio and the board position, although this time there wasn't much chat about the game.  But in general the comments will often be on topics that a later viewer might appreciate, such as KingElephant asking what a frame is and getting an explanation on the spot.  That sort of thing can be a great bonus for viewers of the recording.

I think we have the technology down for running a great World Championship, or actually a great event of any sort, without requiring Omar's constant intervention.  I note that, although Omar was logged in, he didn't have to do anything this morning.  The infrastructure, community knowledge, and volunteer participation are all in place.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #28 on: Nov 21st, 2011, 6:57am »

I like a lot the video with the chatroom below. I think this recording is pretty optimal!
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #29 on: Nov 21st, 2011, 9:43am »

For the record, I used a 579 x 603 (almost square) capture zone with BB Flashback Capture, and then used the built-in FLV exporter without changing any of the settings. The rest was just a case of resizing and arranging my chatroom and game windows.

A couple of tips for anybody trying to record this way:
  • You have to be around when the moves start to appear, because it rejigs the display mucking up your perfect arrangement. You will have to drag the game window again to where you want it.
  • Something strange was happening to both me and Adanac in that the window stopped following the moves for some strange reason. I think it was because I was clicking on the lastest move and then "Show." If you click on "last move" instead (the one with this written on it: ">|" ) it shouldn't give you any problems.  

Only after you've done these two things can you risk walking away from it.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4  5 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.