Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 16th, 2024, 1:21am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Radio Czar Wanted! »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2011 Arimaa World League
(Moderators: megajester, supersamu)
   Radio Czar Wanted!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Radio Czar Wanted!  (Read 12074 times)
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

Re: Radio Czar Wanted!
« Reply #45 on: Nov 22nd, 2011, 4:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Nov 22nd, 2011, 3:53pm, Fritzlein wrote:

I can't commentate on Thursday, but it might be a better day for spectators anyway.

In that case, we should probably keep the current Sunday time slot.  Having your commentary will make it more exciting for the spectators.  Also I'm not sure how many west coast spectators we'd lose but Dolus would only miss about the first 20 moves based upon his 6am wakeup time.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #46 on: Nov 27th, 2011, 8:26am »

on Nov 22nd, 2011, 4:00pm, Adanac wrote:
In that case, we should probably keep the current Sunday time slot.  Having your commentary will make it more exciting for the spectators.  Also I'm not sure how many west coast spectators we'd lose but Dolus would only miss about the first 20 moves based upon his 6am wakeup time.

17 peak listeners was a fine audience, even though presumably some on the west coast couldn't get up in time.

After having taken a turn giving commentary again, I remember how stressful and draining it is, so I want to give another big thank you to everyone who has volunteered so far.  At the same time it is a lot of fun to try to spin out strategic ideas and see whether I can anticipate what the players are going to do next.  Arimaa is a great game to participate in from many different angles: playing, watching, commentating, listening, chatting, etc.

I encourage anyone who has been at all interested in giving commentary to give it a whirl.  Next week is the last week of classes for me, followed by finals the week after, so I won't be giving any commentary myself, but I will at least set up the relay for anyone else who volunteers.  If you have never tried it, this is your chance to heighten your Arimaa experience to a new level.  Grin
IP Logged

Jacka
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #6862

« Reply #47 on: Nov 28th, 2011, 11:09pm »

As a West-coaster, I was one of those who missed the broadcast.  Is it archived somewhere?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #48 on: Nov 29th, 2011, 7:39am »

on Nov 28th, 2011, 11:09pm, Jacka wrote:
As a West-coaster, I was one of those who missed the broadcast.  Is it archived somewhere?

Omar said in chat that when he tried to capture the video, he somehow failed to capture the sound!  Hopefully we'll get the kinks worked out in time for the World Championship, though.
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #49 on: Dec 2nd, 2011, 1:53pm »

on Nov 29th, 2011, 7:39am, Fritzlein wrote:

Omar said in chat that when he tried to capture the video, he somehow failed to capture the sound!  Hopefully we'll get the kinks worked out in time for the World Championship, though.

That's unfortunate.
IP Logged
froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

phm_42@yahoo.co.uk   anteater042

« Reply #50 on: Dec 17th, 2011, 11:41pm »

Anyone commentating on AWL woh vs Adanac, or radicheta vs ginrunner today? I might have a go if there is time to get things setup.

I have teamspeak but I haven't tested it yet.
IP Logged

“Arimaa holds its master in its own bonds, shackling the mind and brain so that the inner freedom of the very strongest must suffer”
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #51 on: Dec 18th, 2011, 10:42am »

on Dec 17th, 2011, 11:41pm, froody wrote:
Anyone commentating on AWL woh vs Adanac, or radicheta vs ginrunner today? I might have a go if there is time to get things setup.

Thanks for the great commentary froody and Adanac!  I'm sorry I didn't log in soon enough to get it all relayed, but once we got going the radicheta vs. ginrunner commentary was great.
IP Logged

ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

« Reply #52 on: Dec 18th, 2011, 10:44pm »

Wait so will my game today be available for me? I would be interested in hearing the commentary on it.
IP Logged
froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

« Reply #53 on: Dec 19th, 2011, 2:52am »

It was fun. Cool

How does the relaying work, exactly?

Was my sound quality OK? Any room for improvement? (I may have a better mic somewhere). ((Could you guess where I'm from? (always interesting to know if foreigners can tell the difference between north English and south English)))

ginrunner: I'm not sure if anyone recorded it Undecided. I think the strongest move you missed was on 26s where we both wanted to see the dog get behind the c3 trap. I'm not sure what you accomplished with your 26s, but I haven't looked at it deeply.
IP Logged

“Arimaa holds its master in its own bonds, shackling the mind and brain so that the inner freedom of the very strongest must suffer”
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #54 on: Dec 19th, 2011, 7:15am »

Ginrunner, I'm pretty sure nobody recorded it; the odds for that are better when the commentary is planned (and announced) in advance.

I don't how "exactly" the relay works, but it is done with Edcast.  All the sounds on my computer are forwarded to the arimaa.com radio server, which then broadcasts them.  All the sounds: this includes the sound of hanzack inviting me to a game even though my flag was off.  (You wouldn't have heard this since you were in Teamspeak, but radio listeners heard it.  I may have to log out of the game room to prevent that sound from intruding.)

You sounded fine in Teamspeak, but I can't tell you how you sounded after being relayed.  I can't listen to the radio myself, because then that would be relayed, etc., in an infinite loop.
IP Logged

froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

« Reply #55 on: Dec 20th, 2011, 3:22pm »

Anyone doing commentary for the AWL playoff games? I don't know where I'll be but I'll try to do something for at least one of the games.

Is this sponsors section up to date? http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/Radio_Commentary_Notes
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #56 on: Dec 20th, 2011, 6:24pm »

Those are last year's sponsors; don't mention them unless they contribute to the prize pool again!

As I mentioned in another thread, I can't relay commentary, so any listeners will have to gather in TeamSpeak.
IP Logged

froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

« Reply #57 on: Dec 22nd, 2011, 2:07am »

So I've been watching the 2011 commentary videos. Great stuff. I am learning a lot.

Listening to Adanac describe the options in detail is very entertaining for me, but I was thinking it might be very confusing for spectators listening live. I normally have to pause the video to think about which squares he's talking about. So I imagine spectators that are not strong players will struggle to keep up. It could be very confusing for them to hear a string of squares and ideas. You hear 'horse on b5' then it takes the brain a while to find that horse, by which time Adanac has mentioned several more squares and ideas! This is great for me, because the detail is very important and now I'm getting much better at knowing where the squares are and guessing what might happen, but I think it will be too hard to follow for people that don't play a lot of Arimaa.

So what about instead of giving the coordinates of the squares we give them names and colours? We have red, green, blue, black trap. Each quarter of the board is called red zone, green zone, blue zone, black zone. And instead of talking about b6, f7.. etc we say 'wide of red trap'. or 'behind yellow trap' or 'corner of green zone'?

We could even continue the animal/nature theme by calling them jungle zone, desert zone, tundra zone ... and ... swamp zone.. ?

(this makes me think of crazy new variations where the camel gets a bonus for being in the desert Smiley etc, but my main idea is to make it easier for spectators to follow)

IP Logged

froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

« Reply #58 on: Dec 22nd, 2011, 4:40am »

ohh. We could also give the cats hats. So we can say red hat gold cat, blue hat gold cat....
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #59 on: Dec 22nd, 2011, 8:15am »

I like the idea of colour coding...

However even if that idea doesn't fly I do think that using terms such as NW NE SW SE is a little bit easier to follow for the uninitiated.

In fact, I personally think the best way to go with what we have at present is to use "top" "bottom" "left" "right". Of course this requires that you remember to say "with gold at the bottom of the screen" every so often. But it makes for a lot of flexibility. You can talk about "gold's left hand trap" for instance.

"gold's e2 rabbit" = "gold's rabbit to the bottom left of his right hand trap/the south east trap"

The other thing you could do is write the code of each square in its top left or top right corner. That way when you talk about "gold's e2 rabbit" your listeners don't have to count ranks and files.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.