Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 10:28pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « let the machine write code? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   let the machine write code?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: let the machine write code?  (Read 1235 times)
clauchau
Forum Guru

bot Quantum Leapfrog's father

let the machine write code?
« on: Sep 4th, 2004, 10:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It seems a good idea to check for goal reaching with fast if-statements and dedicated flags and possibly elementary routines, as Bomb and Speedy seem to do. Writing them by hand is possible since Dave did so, but to me it looks already tedious for a 4-steps check. Adding 4 counter steps and 4 further helping steps seems too much work for me Tongue if I keep in mind the goal to improve Artificial Intelligence.

So, how about making a program write it for us? Might not be a perfect test and it might well span one Mega bytes of brute and redundant code, but it could be made to evolve and get shorter? It could start from a million random board positions and try to see some simple pattern, with some gentle human assistance.

Hmm, it's always easy to throw ideas and I'm not sure how practical this one can ever be.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

Re: let the machine write code?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 5th, 2004, 8:51am »

That sounds even harder than writing an arimaa bot in the first place!

From what i've heard, genetic programming has not had that much success at useful applications.  (different from genetic algorithms of course)
IP Logged
clauchau
Forum Guru

bot Quantum Leapfrog's father

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12th, 2004, 6:22pm »

I'll have a try at the rule induction system at

http://www.newty.de/pnc2/

There is a Chess Endgame benchmark to test.
IP Logged
fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

« Reply #3 on: Nov 8th, 2004, 5:04pm »

It's not that bad Smiley  Bomb has about 500 lines of code to produce a good lower bound on the number of unopposed steps needed for a rabbit to reach the goal (range 1 to 8, or "more").

I try to statically evaluate counters to the goal threats.  Instead I use the larger values to drive search extensions with limited move generation.

It took about 2 months to write and debug.  I had planned to work on trap/frame/pin evaluation next, but ran out of time last year.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.