Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 12:13pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Trap dance and board setup »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Trap dance and board setup
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Trap dance and board setup  (Read 1128 times)
leo
Forum Guru

Trap dance and board setup
« on: Dec 7th, 2007, 12:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don't know what to call these ring dances that often happen around the traps during early incursions, like when an elephant is hunting a camel which runs to hide behind cats and dogs.

I'm wondering if board setups can significantly prevent these trap dances, and more generally how bots playing silver could elaborate their setup to react to gold's setup.

I guess most players go into a lot of subconscious thinking when reacting to an unusual setup. Tricky...
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2007, 12:25am by leo » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Trap dance and board setup
« Reply #1 on: Dec 8th, 2007, 9:46am »

I wouldn't worry too much about board setup right now.  Given that we can beat any bot using the worst piece setup conceivable, bots have bigger fish to fry.  The setup just isn't the issue.

Any good chess teacher will tell you to learn about chess openings last, only after understanding the fundamentals of the game.  Likewise, as "teacher" of your bot, you should focus on fundamentals first and openings only after you have made a great deal of progress.
IP Logged

leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #2 on: Dec 8th, 2007, 11:48pm »

Thanks for this good advice, Fritzlein. I'll keep board setup for later, although I'm sure it will linger in all corners of my mind as I'm donquixotescally attracted by impossible challenges.

I'd be interested in viewing some of the "worst setup games". If they're not referenced on the site or the wiki I'll try to fish them with an archive-skimming script.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 9th, 2007, 10:40am »

We talked a little about the what would be the worst possible setup here:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=talk;action=display;nu m=1145994407

I guess it is still an open question whether "all pieces back" or "all pieces left" is worse.
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2007, 10:41am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #4 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 6:41pm »

Thanks Smiley I'll dig into the game archive. I also just started a postal game with a weird setup by error, mislead by the piece order of the new flash client Tongue I'll experience setup handicap in first person view...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.