Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 3:46am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Software Licenses »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Software Licenses
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Software Licenses  (Read 1162 times)
nbarriga
Forum Guru

Almost retired Bot Developer

Software Licenses
« on: Feb 26th, 2008, 5:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, I was just checking the code for Don Dailey's Sample C bot, the matchOffline kit and the perl scripts Arimaa Gameroom Interface and I couldn't find under what license they are distributed. On the top of the download page there is a note:  

Please note that all software and other files provided here are copyright protected and are distributed for personal, educational and research use only. They may not be used in any commercial product or distributed commercially without a written consent. Please contact us in such cases.

I'm planning(I plan a lot, but usually don't do much, so don't get too excited) to start a free , community developed, arimaa bot(probably under the GPL license, though I'm still studying that), and I want to know how much time I'll need to spend rewriting the parts of my bot that are taken from the previously mentioned packages(most of it Smiley ).

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2008, 5:21pm by nbarriga » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: Software Licenses
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 2:24pm »

I've updated the download page to mention the license they are distributed with. I decided to have all the stuff I've put there distributed under the Open Software License. But since some things there provided by others a different license might apply if specified in the downloaded files. In the case of Don's sample C bot it also uses the same Open Software License (as mentioned in the README file of the download).
IP Logged
nbarriga
Forum Guru

Almost retired Bot Developer

Re: Software Licenses
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 2:39pm »

Thanks for your answer!

Unfortunately, according to GNU, the Open Software License is incompatible with the GPL, so I'll either have to rewrite the code(which I was planning to do at some point anyway) or release my work under the same license(which I haven't studied in detail, but seems OK to me).
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.