Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 2:30pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Language learning »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Language learning
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Language learning  (Read 2819 times)
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

Re: Language learning
« Reply #15 on: Aug 11th, 2008, 8:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 11th, 2008, 7:23am, Tuks wrote:
the problem is i can't keep going, it gives me an error message

i press enter after i have finished typing then it executes the command then when i press enter again it shows me the error message. How would i copy it to show you? like you showed me

Ahh, without seeing the error message here's my first guess on what is going on. Like I said above after you enter the first line and hit enter, it immediately executes that line. This means that it actually wants you to enter the multiplier number right then. If you just hit enter again it will give an error because it can't get any value from what you entered to assign to the multiplier variable.

In order to copy the output it depends on how you're running the interpreter. The way I normally do it and I'll take a guess that you might be doing the same is to run python from a command prompt. In order to copy out of a command prompt you right click and select "mark". Then click and drag to select the text you want to copy and right click again once you have it selected. You can then paste it wherever you need to like you normally would.

Janzert
IP Logged
Tuks
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2626

« Reply #16 on: Aug 11th, 2008, 9:04am »

i got it, thank you,  

so simple and yet i had to read your last message twice before i understood that i needed to add the number after the output (which you did state)  Grin
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #17 on: Aug 11th, 2008, 12:13pm »

A trivial misunderstanding results in completely non-functional code and hours of frustration.  This is why I am not a programmer!

Tuks, you have had the great fortune to experience this reality early in your programming career.  Run away, while you still can.  Any fate is preferable to learning Vim, to say nothing of coming to love and rely on it.  It's not too late to study math instead...
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2008, 12:17pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Tuks
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2626

« Reply #18 on: Aug 11th, 2008, 1:04pm »

i m studying math in school, its required to take programming classes in college  Shocked thought ide get a head start on it

its confusing and time consuming but the idea of my own bot is driving me on!!!  Tongue
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #19 on: Aug 11th, 2008, 5:46pm »

Quote:
Emacs is also another popular choice, but I'll refrain from expressing any opinions on it...

on Aug 11th, 2008, 12:13pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Any fate is preferable to learning Vim, to say nothing of coming to love and rely on it.

Hmm, I may have to go back and edit that first quote. Tongue

Janzert
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #20 on: Aug 11th, 2008, 6:25pm »

Heh, I'm just yanking your chain, Janzert.  I confess that I have used both vi and emacs out of necessity, never got comfortable with either, and grew to dislike them both.  But then again, I've never written a program more than a couple hundred lines long, so I have never had to outgrow Notepad.  Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.