Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 6:12am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Null Move Pruning and races »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Null Move Pruning and races
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Null Move Pruning and races  (Read 1368 times)
Ciribot
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #1955

Null Move Pruning and races
« on: Mar 19th, 2009, 6:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm not sure how many bots implement null moves, but an issue I see with the otherwise quite safe null move pruning is that the reduced search depth will typically push a goal win over the horizon. In these cases the null move will actually be an upper bound of the score for that move, which is very bad. Any thoughts on how to implement null move pruning safely? Typically in chess it is not used in pawn endings due to race conditions.

*typo fixed
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2009, 10:13am by Ciribot » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Null Move Pruning and races
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 8:40am »

on Mar 19th, 2009, 6:35am, Ciribot wrote:
I'm not sure how many bots implement null moves, but an issue I see with the otherwise quite safe null move pruning is that the reduced search depth will typically push a goal win over the horizon. In these cases the null move will actually be an upper bound of the score for that much, which is very bad. Any thoughts on how to implement null move pruning safely? Typically in chess it is not used in pawn endings due to race conditions.

There are quite a few races of different sorts in Arimaa, so if goal races undermine null-move-pruning, then wouldn't capture races also do so, and racing-to-smother-elephant-holding-camel-hostage before-free-camel-wreaks-havoc, etc?

It's somewhat counter-intuitive that null-move pruning would cause a mis-evaluation of a race, because a race is precisely the sort of situation where giving up a move and still winning is proof positive of a superior position.  On the other hand, I guess I can see how searching to different depths in different lines means that one line will race to completion and get a correct eval, while another line will not finish the race and get a skewed eval.

Is it a possible solution to declare that certain extensions must happen even in parts of the tree that are being searched to reduced depth for whatever reason?  The logic would be, that whatever reason we had for searching a certain line more shallowly is trumped by hanging pieces and imminent goal threat; the latter always mandate deeper search until the position quiets down.
IP Logged

Ciribot
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #1955

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19th, 2009, 10:11am »

I think race might not be the word I was looking for, more like some goal that will inevitably happen. However it can also cause misevaluations of races because it will prefer the null move to a lost race.

If there is some inevitable danger on the horizon, the null move will always cause the AI to think 'this can be avoided', whether it is a win, or a positional disadvantage. Null move pruning really works in chess because inevitable checkmate is usually made much worse with null-move, as well usually follows many checks (in which null-move is never applied).

In my board game, the game is also won by a 'goal' condition (be first to get a piece to the other side, that is), I managed to save a lot of tactical strength by never using a null move to refute a win. That is, if another move has already said 'this is a loss for us', null move pruning isn't used. This isn't perfect, and causes an unstable search to some extent, but greatly improves evaluation of positions where a piece is near the other side.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2009, 10:20am by Ciribot » IP Logged
fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31st, 2009, 8:24am »

Bomb uses null move.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.