Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 10:40pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Are Windows or Mac OS programmers welcomed? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Are Windows or Mac OS programmers welcomed?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Are Windows or Mac OS programmers welcomed?  (Read 3479 times)
rabbits
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1337

Re: Are Windows or Mac OS programmers welcomed?
« Reply #15 on: Aug 10th, 2009, 8:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all,

Like ChessBox, I also wanted a local Arimaa client before trying to write a bot.  A number of half-completed Arimaa clients are floating around the internet such as openarimaa and Corsix's Arimaa Client.  I remember having trouble compiling Corsix's client, but I got the .exe to run under Wine.

Dissatisfied with what I found, I wrote my own Arimaa client last week. I used wxPython, so the code should work on Windows and OS X, but I use Ubuntu.  My GUI pales in comparison to the arimaa.com gameroom client, but I am fairly proud of it.  Humans can only make legal moves (ignoring the 3rd repetition rule), bot moves are shown by sliding the pieces, captures are shown by rotating the pieces, and steps can be undone.

Bots are still allowed to cheat, but most of them behave well, so that isn't a huge issue.  This was my first non-trivial project in Python, so the code is probably stylistically poor.  Also, it does not use bitboards, and the comments are mostly notes to myself.  If I find more time, I will clean up the code and add a few more features.

I modeled my interaction with bots after the official matchOffline Perl script.  So far, I have used the bots r0, sample1, sample2, score1, and ps1 successfully with my client.  After reading this thread though, I will certainly look into Janzert's AEI.

I am not opposed to sharing my code, but I haven't read the Arimaa Public License yet.  If I am allowed to, I will try to publish it before the end of the summer.  

Wow, I just found erict's post about how he also rewrote the Perl match script in Python.  There is a lot of material about Arimaa... I think it will be a long time before I feel caught-up.

By the way, I would encourage those of you on Windows to give Ubuntu a try.  You might like it.

-Greg
IP Logged

chimaera
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #4560

Re: Are Windows or Mac OS programmers welcomed?
« Reply #16 on: Oct 10th, 2009, 11:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm working on a C# Arimaa game engine right now. The game-playing engine is nearly complete; it respects the 3-move repeat rule, can roll back individual moves or entire turns, can interpret and write out game position files, and can play through thousands of games in a few seconds by directly loading game logs.

I am just now starting work on a GUI, then I imagine I'll start implementing support for bot plugins. I'm already in communication with Omar regarding a license for non-commercial distribution of the executable and source code.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.