Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 6:57pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « "Deep Thinking" in bots »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   "Deep Thinking" in bots
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: "Deep Thinking" in bots  (Read 1348 times)
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

"Deep Thinking" in bots
« on: Dec 26th, 2006, 12:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

From what I understand about creating bots, it appears that they cannot utilize "deep thinking." That is, they cannot think while it is the opponent's turn.  Please correct me if I am wrong, or if there is another term for this.

Just curious, how much better do you think bots would play if they could use deep thinking, especially at fast time settings?

The_Jeh
IP Logged
jdb
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #214

Re: "Deep Thinking" in bots
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26th, 2006, 1:09am »

Thinking on the opponents time is generally referred to as "pondering".

None of the bots currently ponder. The bot interface reloads the bot's program for each move, so pondering would be tricky to implement.

At the long time settings, pondering would make little difference. At the faster time settings it might, but even then I'm not sure.

The usual implementation for pondering is to the guess the opponents move and start the search as if that move had already been played. So in order to benefit, the opponents move has to be guessed correctly. I have no idea how many times this would happen in a game.
IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28th, 2006, 12:46am »

Pondering - or even just retaining state between turns - could come in handy just by retaining a part of your hashtable.  If you are searching 3 ply deep, you are almost guaranteed to have some of the branches leading from your opponent's move still in your hash table.   This could gain you a few extra hash hits in the early parts of your search on the next turn.

Implementing this, or pondering, would require that your getMove program be a separate program from most of your bot, and the getMove program would be essentially an interface layer that communicated with the always-running bot.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16th, 2010, 8:05am »

Even with very progresive cutting of search tree branches the saved time would be such tiny portion of the subtree to be searched that don't expect big gains of that. It would gain in positions with goal attacks, where the cutting would work well.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 16th, 2010, 8:21am »

on Dec 26th, 2006, 1:09am, jdb wrote:
The usual implementation for pondering is to the guess the opponents move and start the search as if that move had already been played. So in order to benefit, the opponents move has to be guessed correctly. I have no idea how many times this would happen in a game.

My intuition was that one would basically never guess the correct move to think about on the opponent's time, so pondering would be useless.  In the Mob game, however, I have been keeping careful track of my guesses for the Mob's moves, and I have been right about one fifth of the time.  So perhaps it isn't so useless after all?
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16th, 2010, 1:28pm »

Opfor now ponders.

I would expect even a bot to correctly predict a few moves in most games.  In particular many captures are fairly obvious responses.  The downside is that the opponent probably makes those moves quite quickly, so pondering doesn't give you much Smiley.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.