Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 7:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 15th Computer Olympiad 2010 »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   15th Computer Olympiad 2010
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 15th Computer Olympiad 2010  (Read 1917 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

15th Computer Olympiad 2010
« on: Feb 1st, 2010, 8:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Between September 24th to October 2nd 2010 the 15th Computer Olympiad is being held in Kanazawa, Japan.

http://www.jaist.ac.jp/ICGA-events-2010/english/olympiad/

Only problem is that I think you have to physically go there with your program to participate.
IP Logged
fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

Re: 15th Computer Olympiad 2010
« Reply #1 on: Mar 1st, 2010, 11:38pm »

I'll be there for computer go, so if there an arimaa tournament I could enter that as well.
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #2 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 11:44am »

I may be remembering a different tournament but I believe in the past they've allowed go programs to participate by having local volunteer "representatives" run programs whose authors could not make it to the site. If an Arimaa tournament does take place (or maybe just a demonstration of some sort) I would certainly be willing to send opfor to someone if they were wanted to run it.

Janzert
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 11:50am »

I think having a local volunteer to run the program sounds like the best option for organizing an Arimaa tournament at the Computer Olympiad. I don't see anything on their site that mentions something like this though.

David do you have any contact info for the organizers. I can't seem to find it on their site.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2010, 11:52am by omar » IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #4 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 1:35pm »

I'm seem to recall, although I'm not 100% positive, that Remi Coulom (http://remi.coulom.free.fr/) has taken over organizing the Olympiad and other ICGA events. For sure he sends the various announcements to the computer-go list.

Janzert
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19th, 2010, 5:31am »

Would anyone be interested in submitting their bot to play at the Olympiad if someone there could operate it for them.

If there is interest I'll see if something can be organized.

IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #6 on: Jun 21st, 2010, 1:08pm »

Certainly I'm still willing to send OpFor if wanted.

I think this would be a great way to promote Arimaa among programmers that are likely to take an interest in it. But I do have a couple reservations. The one social and the other technical.

First I think for it to be successful socially in drawing interest to Arimaa there needs to be at least one programmer on site to advocate for Arimaa. While I'm sure David Fotland is more than capable, I think it would be unfair to ask him/put him in this position since the go competition needs to be his primary focus.

Second I'm not quite sure how the actual games would be played. For computer chess I think the standard method is for the operators to manually enter and play moves over a physical board and local interface to the programs. For computer go it seems that there is more of a mix with any of three methods used. A physical board and manual local interface as is used with chess, a local tournament server controlling the games or a regular internet server (e.g. kgs). I don't recall and at the moment I'm unable to find which method is used at the Olympiad. At this point I think the only tournament ready method for Arimaa is probably to play through the arimaa.com server. It wouldn't be too difficult to develop the AEI implementation into something that could be used as a tournament server although I'm not sure I could have it "production quality" by this Olympiad. I think at the moment Bomb is the only program with an interface that would be appropriate for "playing over the board" and it also brings in the problem of a suitable timer for normal Arimaa time controls.

Has the location and date for next year's Olympiad been determined yet? That may be a more suitable target to aim for.

Janzert
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #7 on: Jun 21st, 2010, 1:16pm »

If it's as simple as sending an AEI-compatible binary I'm in. briareus can serve as some sort of cannon fodder.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 21st, 2010, 1:57pm »

on Jun 21st, 2010, 1:08pm, Janzert wrote:
Second I'm not quite sure how the actual games would be played. For computer chess I think the standard method is for the operators to manually enter and play moves over a physical board and local interface to the programs.

Really?  How bizarre.  I'm pretty sure that the shogi computer championships are 100% networked via a standardized protocol.
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #9 on: Jun 21st, 2010, 7:30pm »

on Jun 21st, 2010, 1:57pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Really?  How bizarre.  I'm pretty sure that the shogi computer championships are 100% networked via a standardized protocol.

Yep, while I've never personally attended any that seems to be what they are doing in all the pictures I've seen. Also the rules for the 18th World Computer Chess championship held in conjunction with the Olympiad seem to confirm this (found here, under general rules #6 "Each game is played on a chessboard with a chess clock provided by the Tournament Committee").

I always thought it was a little strange too.

Janzert
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #10 on: Jun 26th, 2010, 5:20am »

Quote:
First I think for it to be successful socially in drawing interest to Arimaa there needs to be at least one programmer on site to advocate for Arimaa. While I'm sure David Fotland is more than capable, I think it would be unfair to ask him/put him in this position since the go competition needs to be his primary focus.

Yes, I agree. So maybe we should hold off on this until more bot developers are able to attend.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.