Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 9:08am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Are any bots working with just a subset of pieces? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Are any bots working with just a subset of pieces?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Are any bots working with just a subset of pieces?  (Read 1420 times)
speek
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5441

Are any bots working with just a subset of pieces?
« on: Aug 23rd, 2010, 10:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was thinking about my bot and realized that I could basically "turn off" pieces when building a search tree, and thus reduce the number of moves considered.  So, as an extreme example, to test if a certain rabbit might be able to score in the next few moves with the help of the nearby elephant, I could turn off all my other pieces, and all opponent pieces that weren't in the vicinity and blast through a fairly deep tree to find a solution.  Kind of like playing out just one small corner in a Go game, I guess, but rather than being necessarily geographic, I can filter by piece or by location.

Do any current bots do this or something similar?  I am unsure if it's really worthwhile, as you have to be able to detect times when it might be useful to do this.
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

Re: Are any bots working with just a subset of pie
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23rd, 2010, 11:43am »

I think at least bomb does something similar, when confirming a goal threat. It searches only for pieces near enough to stop the goal.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23rd, 2010, 11:49am »

I'm pretty sure that when Loc detects a goal threat, only pieces near enough to affect the situation are allowed to move.  Also Bomb orders its moves to examine moves near a threatening rabbit before it examines moves further away, thus providing better pruning.  I don't know about any other bots, though.
IP Logged

tize
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3121

« Reply #3 on: Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:12pm »

on Aug 23rd, 2010, 10:18am, speek wrote:
I am unsure if it's really worthwhile, as you have to be able to detect times when it might be useful to do this.

I think it really can be worth it, but as with all forward pruning it potentially opens for tactical holes in the search.

In a quick test I got marwin to finish a 10 steps search 83% faster when pieces standing on A1,B1, G1, H1, A8, B8, G8 & H8 wasn't allowed to move. The position was an opening position. So yes it can be worth it if as you say it can be detected when to use it.

ps. Marwin isn't using this kind of pruning.
IP Logged
jdb
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #214

« Reply #4 on: Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:21pm »

Haizhi came up with a form of pruning. He observed that most moves involved at least 2 connected steps. So on the second step of a turn, almost all moves can be pruned. If there are goal threats or capture threats, one needs to be careful.  

Here is the code snippet from clueless.  

Code:

// Determine second step relationship pruning
  // Loss by immobilization is still handled correctly

// 1) Piece moved on first step
  // 2) A piece touching the destination of the previous moved piece
  // 3) The elephant
  long from_bb = FULL_BB;
  if (use_haizi_relationship_pruning) {
   if (gs.isSecondStep() && !is_goal_threat) {
    long prev_step = abms[ply - 1].getCurrentMove();
    long to_bb = GameState.getToBB((int) prev_step);
    from_bb = to_bb | touching_bb(to_bb) | gs.piece_bb[10] | gs.piece_bb[11];
   }
  }

IP Logged
speek
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5441

« Reply #5 on: Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:43pm »

When I think about a move, rather than looking at all possible moves (duh), I tend to see points in the position where it'd be nice to have my elephant, or a rabbit.  Or, I see that if opponent's piece X could be just moved out of the way, I could do lots of stuff.

So, if a program looked at a position and decided that pieces X,Y, and Z had interesting possibilities, then just focus on them.  It's not exactly the same, but it feels similar.

And then, it also feels like I rely on my subconscious to alert me to dangerous stuff that needs attention, beyond the above.  Perhaps, in the program, there is still a wider search going on to detect tactical holes in the above.  The problem I have is merging the two different approaches, because both will generate the same moves, but I'd rather not duplicate the effort when they do.  But, merging also devours resources...

In case it's not clear, I'm not doing a strict alpha-beta search.  I do generate a move tree, but my code looks for paths through the tree to examine deeper and basically just applies killer moves to the rest to even out the evaluations as I go deeper in the tree.  I'm looking for some good ways to find the best paths to search Smiley
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #6 on: Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:52pm »

BTW, I'm not sure that you would get very meaningful results from such a search if it went very deep.
IP Logged
speek
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5441

« Reply #7 on: Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:55pm »

That's true, but my idea is to use it as a way to detect moves of interest that deserve further study.  "Deep" in this case means maybe 6-ply.
IP Logged
jdb
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #214

« Reply #8 on: Aug 23rd, 2010, 7:17pm »

on Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:55pm, speek wrote:
That's true, but my idea is to use it as a way to detect moves of interest that deserve further study.  "Deep" in this case means maybe 6-ply.

Usually, interesting steps involve traps. So maybe steps that effect traps and squares touching traps should be looked at first.
IP Logged
speek
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5441

« Reply #9 on: Aug 23rd, 2010, 8:06pm »

on Aug 23rd, 2010, 7:17pm, jdb wrote:

Usually, interesting steps involve traps. So maybe steps that effect traps and squares touching traps should be looked at first.

Wow, so obvious, yet that didn't occur to me in just that way.  Thanks, I think I can use that to good effect!
IP Logged
Manuel
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4020

« Reply #10 on: Aug 25th, 2010, 7:11am »

I think this is a very good idea! Especially when taken a little bit to the extreme, I think it could be very effective in quickly finding some potential threads, and as you combine it with a real search afterwards, it does not matter if you have a few tactical holes.
To make the quick search even faster, you could also apply the haizhi scheme during the quick search...

Myself I am working on a similar (but much more complicated, so I will probably never finish...) idea, so I would find it rather interesting to see how your ideas work out!

I think you should just experiment with different amounts of pieces turned off and compare to a full search, such that you can see how effective different schemes are, and how much things you are missing compared to the full search.

Good luck!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.