Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 4:56am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Chalenging game from positional point of view ? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Chalenging game from positional point of view ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Chalenging game from positional point of view ?  (Read 1292 times)
pago
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5439

Email

Chalenging game from positional point of view ?
« on: Oct 10th, 2010, 2:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

HERD material evaluator is stabilized and seems to provide correct results (even though I would have liked to see a comparision with other evaluators by rednaxela).

I am trying to develop a positional evaluator with the same kind of ideas : blocakde, piece misplacements etc... would not be hardcoded but would be emerging properties.

I am searching for interesting games from positional point of view that would be chalenging for evaluators.

Obvious games could be games between Friztlein and Chessandgo but I assume that there are also other interesting games (in particular in postal games).

For the moment I look at World Championship 2010 and the chalenge 2010.

The game #136807 between Adanac and Chessandgo (R9 of WC 2010) seems to be a good candidate :  
silver won although gold had a material advantage from 12w to 23w (H for D). There was neither obvious burdens nor obvious positional factors such as E blockade.

Do you have other ideas of games that could be a reference to test positional evaluators.
IP Logged
clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

Re: Chalenging game from positional point of view
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10th, 2010, 5:47am »

Hi, I have no specific games in mind but good candidates might have occurred when the strategic understanding of Arimaa hadn't been developed as much as now. If you would look high level games of those days, you would see strategic play that would be considered immature now but the games would still have lots of thought put on to them.

For example, I think chessandgo liked to advance his rabbits early on in his early Arimaa career (I remember this from his video commentary). Also how important people considered camel hostage, and tempo might have changed considerably. So there could be imbalanced positions regarding different aspects of evaluation.

Good luck with the evaluators!
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2010, 5:49am by clojure » IP Logged
pago
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5439

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11th, 2010, 5:09am »

Quote:
Hi, I have no specific games in mind but good candidates might have occurred when the strategic understanding of Arimaa hadn't been developed as much as now. If you would look high level games of those days, you would see strategic play that would be considered immature now but the games would still have lots of thought put on to them.

Thank you for your suggestion. Look at old games may be a valuable idea.

Quote:
So there could be imbalanced positions regarding different aspects of evaluation.

I wonder whether the difficulty for evaluators are with unbalanced positions. On the contrary I feel without beeing sure that there would be more difficulties with (almost) balanced position
IP Logged
pago
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5439

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 13th, 2010, 6:53am »

I have found the following link to a wikipage in an old thread of the forum :

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/twiki/bin/view/Arimaa/BotSlayer

I think that it should answer to my answer (...at least partially).

I quickly looked at some games yesterday and they are amazing.

I like particularly the game 12121 between Belbo a a too passive bot.

Thank you to the autor of this page.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.