Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 2:25pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Win by immobilization »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Win by immobilization
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Win by immobilization  (Read 1465 times)
Nazgand
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6461

Email

Win by immobilization
« on: Jul 4th, 2011, 11:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was wondering if anyone programmed their bot to prefer moves that left the opponent with fewer options. I think this would be a powerful heuristic; I think win by immobilization is most impressive.
Edit: to be clear, I suspect that modifying a bot to have this preference would allow it to win more often.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2011, 12:05am by Nazgand » IP Logged
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

Re: Win by immobilization
« Reply #1 on: Jul 6th, 2011, 4:24am »

While lots of moves would be generally good, I think you'd have to be careful, as some positions with less number of moves available than the opponent are actually winning positions (think camel hostage, or even horse frame on one trap, and a camel hostage by the other).  But yes generally more moves should be an advantage I would think (and Fritz might even provide some statistics when he gets back from holiday if we're lucky).

Edit: but yes, I too would be interested to know if anyone has programmed that into their bot's evaluation.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2011, 4:26am by Swynndla » IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #2 on: Jul 6th, 2011, 4:57am »

My bot has a mobility evaluation, but the aim of this is not really to win by immobilization (which is extremely rare), but instead to leave the opponent with fewer options and less access to critical squares.
IP Logged
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

« Reply #3 on: Jul 6th, 2011, 5:00am »

Thanks rbarreira ... is that evaluation the total number of moves the opposition has?
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #4 on: Jul 6th, 2011, 5:09am »

on Jul 6th, 2011, 5:00am, Swynndla wrote:
Thanks rbarreira ... is that evaluation the total number of moves the opposition has?

No, that would be way too slow for an evaluation function. It's more like a weighted sum of the number of reachable squares for each piece, attempting not to traverse undefended traps or squares where the piece would be frozen (this is fairly efficient with bitboard tricks). The weight is of course bigger for stronger pieces.

It's not very well tuned or tested though, as is the case with most of my evaluation function which is frankly not very good. I'm not sure it's a good idea to take evaluation advice from my bot Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2011, 5:11am by rbarreira » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 6th, 2011, 1:57pm »

I don't know about specific bots, but my general impression is that bots like to freeze pieces more than humans do, so there must be some evaluation bonus for immobilized enemy pieces.
IP Logged

ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

« Reply #6 on: Jul 6th, 2011, 2:44pm »

on Jul 6th, 2011, 1:57pm, Fritzlein wrote:
I don't know about specific bots, but my general impression is that bots like to freeze pieces more than humans do, so there must be some evaluation bonus for immobilized enemy pieces.

yes but is that explicitly coded in or is it a coincidental side effect of their material evaluators. My guess is freezing pieces leads to more opportunities for them to take those pieces and it is not the computer purposely leaving less moves for the other player. Then again I could be completely wrong :-P
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2011, 2:44pm by ginrunner » IP Logged
dree12
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #4082

« Reply #7 on: Jul 6th, 2011, 4:37pm »

In chess, Robert Hyatt (the developer of Crafty) used a random evaluation function for it, and found out that on a decent computer it had IM levels of success. The random evaluation is like a mobility score, as moves that increase your mobility and decrease your opponent's recieve better results (the entire concept behind minimax). Since Arimaa bots are far behind chess bots in terms of search, I don't think this mechanism can easily be copied over. What would be interesting is an ArimaaScoreP2-esque bot, except with a random* evaluation rather than score. My guess is that the result will be worse than ArimaaScoreP2 but better than ArimaaScoreP1 (it won't give up rabbits all that easily).
*With goals scoring +Inf, of course.

My bot-development has so far provided no results, but this should be a simple-enough change to ArimaaScoreP2. Does anyone still have the source to that?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 6th, 2011, 5:45pm »

on Jul 6th, 2011, 4:37pm, dree12 wrote:
My bot-development has so far provided no results, but this should be a simple-enough change to ArimaaScoreP2. Does anyone still have the source to that?

Iirc, ArimaaScoreP2 is Don Dailey's sample bot (available here) with a drop-in change to eval.  Replacing the Arimaa-score eval with a random eval should be relatively straightforward.  I predict, however, that mobility is not as useful to good Arimaa as it is to good chess, for reasons discussed in other threads.
IP Logged

dree12
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #4082

« Reply #9 on: Jul 6th, 2011, 7:34pm »

Thanks. I'll see what I can do, and hopefully this computer is fast enough to spill some tests. Do you know where I can obtain a copy of bot_random?
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #10 on: Jul 6th, 2011, 9:49pm »

Although the data is fairly old now, I did look at this a little in the branching factor study. Here is the most relevant graph:

But while OpFor (as I imagine all the other bots do) has terms in its evaluation for frozen, blockaded and mobility of pieces, etc., it does not directly look at just the total number of moves available to a side. (Except for the case of actual immobilization)

Janzert
IP Logged
Nazgand
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6461

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 6th, 2011, 11:00pm »

Nice graph. Exactly the sort of thing I meant. rbarreira's method sounds like a good heuristic if optimized. In related news, I recently learned that research shows that telling others your goals makes you less likely to achieve them.
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #12 on: Jul 12th, 2011, 7:15pm »

on Jul 6th, 2011, 11:00pm, Nazgand wrote:
In related news, I recently learned that research shows that telling others your goals makes you less likely to achieve them.

I must be doing it wrong then.  My goal is to tell others my goals more.
IP Logged
Nazgand
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6461

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 12th, 2011, 10:37pm »

on Jul 12th, 2011, 7:15pm, RonWeasley wrote:

I must be doing it wrong then.  My goal is to tell others my goals more.

Yes. It makes a good joke if you add "So my new goal is to not tell anyone any of my goals."

Edit: http://www.ted.com/talks/derek_sivers_keep_your_goals_to_yourself.html
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2011, 10:41pm by Nazgand » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.