Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 2:04pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Goal Test Positions »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Goal Test Positions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Goal Test Positions  (Read 9451 times)
doublep
Forum Guru

Badger author

Re: Goal Test Positions
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13th, 2011, 12:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Nov 11th, 2011, 3:23pm, Dolus wrote:
That sounds helpful.

As far as sharing files, I expect somebody should have a good solution to this, but otherwise, we could set up a Dropbox account or something along those lines.

Ah, I remembered I have a Google account.  You can  grab the file.  It's a tarball with some Badger's tests, Python scripts and a brief GTP description.
IP Logged
JimmSlimm
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6348

« Reply #16 on: Aug 17th, 2012, 6:43pm »

on Nov 5th, 2011, 12:43am, rabbits wrote:
When I was working on the static goal search for my bot a year and a half ago, I hand crafted a bunch of test positions.  While skimming the chat archive the other day, I saw some talk about test positions, so I figured I might as well share mine.

Goal Test Positions

Let me know if anyone actually tests their bot with these positions.  Also, if there are any mistakes, post about those too please!

Thank you so much for sharing this. I found MANY mistakes in my code when running tests on these positions.
IP Logged
Max
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #5574

« Reply #17 on: Dec 25th, 2013, 4:04pm »

Thank you all for your test positions.  

My bot (bot_Maximus) I am developing at the moment found all goaling moves from rabbits test-positions. That is no surprise as it has only a complete search implemented at the moment. So the only problem was, it took over 50 minutes for finding/not finding the goals.
IP Logged
lightvector
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2543

« Reply #18 on: Dec 27th, 2013, 3:26pm »

I'm still a big fan of randomized testing using the full games database for "seed" positions - you can get extremely thorough coverage, much more than any specifically crafted test set can give you, although there is also much more cruft (your code has to be efficient to be able to process the large number of positions in a reasonable time).

Also, one thing to note when writing the static goal detector is that rather than just producing the boolean answer or just the [0-4] number of steps to goal, if you can stand the additional complexity, it's worthwhile to make it also return the goaling move or the set of squares involved in the goal move. The reason is that when you do goal-relevance pruning (restricting move generation to just the steps that might be relevant to stopping the goal when the opponent has a goal threat), if you know the exact set of squares involved in the goal move, you can safely prune far more aggressively.

IP Logged
leon_messerschmidt
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #6344

« Reply #19 on: Feb 28th, 2014, 8:02pm »

on Nov 5th, 2011, 12:43am, rabbits wrote:

Let me know if anyone actually tests their bot with these positions.  Also, if there are any mistakes, post about those too please!

I tested my bot against the test positions and I think it went pretty well.  There were a handful of positions that had 9 rabbits on a side, which upset my bot (I optimised speed over flexibility).  And I think there is a problem with position 393.atp.

If you're willing to put these on github (or if you won't object to me putting it up there) I'd be happy to send you some pull requests for things I find.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2014, 8:06pm by leon_messerschmidt » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.