Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:46pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Connecting to arimaa.com »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Connecting to arimaa.com
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Connecting to arimaa.com  (Read 1513 times)
Muzz
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #7559

Connecting to arimaa.com
« on: Mar 24th, 2012, 3:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Please forgive this horribly basic question, but at what point does the engine connect to the gameroom and start a game? I can play a game in text format only. Also, can I test my bots without internet connection?

Again, sorry for my lack of abilities.
IP Logged
tize
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3121

Re: Connecting to arimaa.com
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25th, 2012, 2:44am »

All bot engines uses an interface for the communication to the gameroom, so no network code needs to be done by the developer.

If you use the old bot interface, as I do, then make a getMove program which is a program that gets three files and then just prints the move to make. The bot interface will then pass that move to the gameroom.

Use ./botman start& to get it to enter the gameroom and continuosly play games.

If you on the other had use AEI then I don't know...
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25th, 2012, 4:51am »

With the new (AEI) interface you also don't need to do any of the networking stuff yourself. You make a program that gets started at the beginning of the game and receives/sends all commands through standard input/output. Commands such as "makemove" (to receive a move by either player), "go" (to ask the bot for its move), etc.

You can read about it here:

http://arimaa.janzert.com/aei/aei-protocol.html
IP Logged
Muzz
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #7559

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26th, 2012, 3:47am »

I didn't explain that too well, but I'll try again.

I'm using AEI. I'll just talk in terms relating to the engine included in the package.

I start a game against the engine (by typing 'aei', 'isready', etc.) What I want to know is, is this game now being played on the server? If so, can I view the actual game, rather than the text-based format, or do I need to write my own scripts to do that?

Thanks for your time.
IP Logged
JimmSlimm
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6348

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26th, 2012, 6:43am »

on Mar 26th, 2012, 3:47am, Muzz wrote:

I'm using AEI. I'll just talk in terms relating to the engine included in the package.

I start a game against the engine (by typing 'aei', 'isready', etc.) What I want to know is, is this game now being played on the server? If so, can I view the actual game, rather than the text-based format, or do I need to write my own scripts to do that?

Thanks for your time.

If using gameroom.py, then yes it's being played in the gameroom of arimaa.com.

You can spectate the game with your own(human) account, find it in the gameroom by logging in and check out "live games"
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26th, 2012, 10:29am »

on Mar 26th, 2012, 3:47am, Muzz wrote:

Thanks for your time.

If you run the engine on your own and type commands into it then the game is certainly not being played online.

As JimmSlimm said, if you want the bot to play online you have to use the gameroom.py script, which runs your bot and connects to the server, serving as an intermediary between  the bot and the server.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.