Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 11:30pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « I want to program a bot »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   I want to program a bot
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I want to program a bot  (Read 1540 times)
supersamu
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7523

I want to program a bot
« on: May 17th, 2012, 1:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,

I play with the thought of programming my own bot. The one (and also very big) problem is, that i never learnt a programming language. I tried a long time ago, but i wasn´t persistent enough.
Do you think i have a chance to program a bot on my own within this year  that can make legal moves (and maybe beat ArimaaScoreP1 Cool ) ? Which programming language(s) should/could i use?
I will finish school in 3 weeks, so time is not a problem.

Thanks for your help
IP Logged

browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

Re: I want to program a bot
« Reply #1 on: May 17th, 2012, 3:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I found C++ syntax very easy and logical. In order to program a bot to make legal moves you will probably only need to know the basics of a language. I learned the basics of C++ in a month or so during school. Depending on your ability it could be faster or slower.
For some reason many people consider C/C++ difficult, so maybe Python would be better. To make legal moves pretty much all you need is to implement AEI and generate a full or partial move list (or even just one move). A very basic eval function to chose a move would be nice if you want your bot to do more than make random legal moves. Implementing a search would be a little bit more difficult, but if you can do it you should easily beat the weaker bots.
This is nothing too complex (mostly time consuming), so the language choice probably doesn't matter too much. If you chose C++ I'd be willing to help you with it if you want me too.
This site has a C++ tutorial and a forum where you can get help:
http://www.cplusplus.com
You will also need a compiler, and you will want  an IDE.
Code::Blocks is a good IDE that you can download for free. When you google and go to their website make sure you chose the download that includes the compiler.
If you want to learn Python it's pretty easy to find resources for that also. Just don't try learning multiple languages at the same time. You will get confused Wink.
C++ is probably better than Python for programming a bot, but there's no reason you couldn't do it.
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2012, 3:34pm by browni3141 » IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.