Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 2:20pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Increasing the Arimaa Challenge prize »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Increasing the Arimaa Challenge prize
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Increasing the Arimaa Challenge prize  (Read 4176 times)
nbarriga
Forum Guru

Almost retired Bot Developer

Re: Increasing the Arimaa Challenge prize
« Reply #30 on: Jul 31st, 2006, 10:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've always thought that we need to team up with a University. I've done my best here, introducing arimaa to a couple of AI teachers, giving presentations in classes i am taking or teaching, but i haven't been able to attract too much attention.

Maybe somebody with a little mor influence in their University...
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Increasing the Arimaa Challenge prize
« Reply #31 on: Aug 4th, 2006, 7:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yes, maybe academic sponsorship is a more promising avenue than corporate sponsorship.  How is anyone going to make money from Arimaa?  Looking back on my post about Hasbro, I did a tiny bit of research and found a Web site that says Scrabble sells 3,000,000 copies worldwide each year.  Of course a game that is already so popular will attract corporate interest.  For something nascent like Arimaa, there's almost no advertising value to be had in sponsorship.  The only possible money would be in producing and selling the game, and even if Arimaa could sell 5,000 copies a year, that's just a rounding error for Hasbro.  If there's no money it, corporations won't be interested, because they exist only to make money.

Academics, on the other hand, are interested in cool ideas, and in primary research.  They are used to spending money they won't get back, and expecting nothing more than to learn in the process.  If we could get some university interested in Arimaa as a research project, where some of their students are studying it, then they might also sponsor tournaments and wider competitions.  Maybe.

At the end of the day, it's clear I am not cut out to be an entrepreneur, because to me it looks like nothing can succeed unless it is already successful.   Undecided
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.