Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 1:12am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « a tournament ? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   a tournament ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: a tournament ?  (Read 7083 times)
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

a tournament ?
« on: Jul 21st, 2006, 10:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all !

What about organizing a tournament during the summer ? Something like the blitz tourney you had last year, if I understood it right. Each couple of players have a game to play whenever they want, starting from, say, in one week, and up to, say mid september (or sooner, or later). At the end the player with the most wins wins the prize ... (that is to say not playing a game or losing it is the same)

Anyone interested ? Any suggestion ? I put a potm prize (30 dollars) in the pool, you can add to it if you want Wink

I thought about 45 sec/move as time setting ... but if you prefer any other it's equal ...

Thanks for your suggestions, hoping you'll be interested !

Jean
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: a tournament ?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22nd, 2006, 10:13am »

I would play in a tournament, but I think the scheduling of games will be a problem, like it was for last year's blitz tournament that never finished.  You can say it is up to the players, and the players who don't try hard to schedule games will be punished in the score, but consider this:

Suppose that it is only easy to get games against players near to your own time zone.  Suppose that most players in the tournament are from North America, and those players have an easy time getting games against each other, but there are only a few players from Europe, and they have a hard time getting games against the North American players.  Then the European players have a relative handicap because there are fewer of them.  Or it could be the other way around with lots of Europeans and few North Americans.  And what about Asian players?  They may have an even tougher time finding games.

I think the ideal is to persuade Omar to use his scheduling tool to find a game time in common.  Each round of the round-robin could take one week.  For that week, each player has to choose 30 of the 59 time slots, which insures that they will overlap in at least one slot.  Then all games get played or forfeited, and you never have *both* players punished because they can't find a good time.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2006, 10:14am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #2 on: Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:18am »

I don't know, it would be just a free and friendly tourney ; so if you don't manage to get a game with another player, this is no drama.  

And if we set the lenght to, say, 2 month, it gives time to find a common slot, even for European-american pairs. But indeed it will be a pb for opposite time zones, like (western Europe/America) vs eastern Asia ...

I was just rising the idea, if no one is interesting well ... well, then it will just be a lost idea Smiley
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #3 on: Jul 22nd, 2006, 5:22pm »

on Jul 22nd, 2006, 10:13am, Fritzlein wrote:

I think the ideal is to persuade Omar to use his scheduling tool to find a game time in common.  Each round of the round-robin could take one week.  For that week, each player has to choose 30 of the 59 time slots, which insures that they will overlap in at least one slot.  Then all games get played or forfeited, and you never have *both* players punished because they can't find a good time.

Moreover, I don't think I would play such a binding tournament if it's for free, it seems very restrictive ... the formula where players who happen to be in the gameroom at the same time once in 2 month looks more enjoyable ...
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #4 on: Jul 22nd, 2006, 5:24pm »

Ok, so who's interested, whatever the details are ? If you are, thanks to tell it here ... if less than 5 players have shown interest in the next 3 days, then it's not worth the trouble and better just to play whoever we happen to meet here.
For the moment :

-Fritzl
-chessandgo
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22nd, 2006, 6:30pm »

on Jul 22nd, 2006, 5:24pm, chessandgo wrote:
Ok, so who's interested, whatever the details are ? If you are, thanks to tell it here ... if less than 5 players have shown interest in the next 3 days, then it's not worth the trouble and better just to play whoever we happen to meet here.
For the moment :

-Fritzl
-chessandgo

I'll join too.
IP Logged

robinson
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #719

119532424 119532424    
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 6:04am »

me too
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #7 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 6:19am »

Quote:
a tournament during the summer

Sorry, I won't be able to join this one.   Partly 'cause I'm madly busy at the moment, and partly because it's not summer Wink.

I'll definitely watch with interest - you've got a great field already.
IP Logged
H_Bobbeltoff
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #1924

« Reply #8 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 9:26am »

I'll join too, although seeing the line-up so far I'll just be aiming not to get the wooden sthingy

Edit: It seems the profanity filter on the forum doesn't like certain items of cutlery...
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2006, 9:29am by H_Bobbeltoff » IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #9 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 12:58pm »

ah hell ... I could try to participate in the pre-WC ... but be warned Wink
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #10 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 1:14pm »

I will be a spectator as usual for the usual reasons: lame browser and ISP and competition for my time with work and family.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #11 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 2:08pm »

on Jul 23rd, 2006, 1:14pm, RonWeasley wrote:
competition for my time with work and family.

I thought Hermione had found a way to deal with this ? Smiley
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #12 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 3:50pm »

on Jul 23rd, 2006, 6:19am, 99of9 wrote:

Sorry, I won't be able to join this one.

oh Sad I hoped it would be an excuse to get a game with you Wink
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #13 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 7:52pm »

and what about all the others who are often around ? Nick, Ryan, jdb, arimaa_master, obiwan, chegorimaa, Olti, firtzlforpresident, .... ? Not interested ? It's a free non restricting tournament for fun !!!

So far, are interested :
Fritzl
chessandgo
Adanac
robinson
Bobble
PMertens (yeah, Paul !)
IP Logged

seanick
Forum Guru

SeaNICK

seanick
Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:01pm »

of course I am in, didn't think it had to be stated.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.