Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 12:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2008 Computer Championship format »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2008 Computer Championship format
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2008 Computer Championship format  (Read 813 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

2008 Computer Championship format
« on: Oct 10th, 2007, 12:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The format for the 2007 Computer Championship seemed to work pretty well: eight-player triple elimination.  I like the notion of an open tournament, but I don't think there are likely to be more than eight people wanting spots this year anyway; on the contrary we may again want to resurrect an old bot or two just to fill out the eight slots.

The one minor rule issue was this:
on Jan 22nd, 2007, 9:36am, RonWeasley wrote:
Reading the tournament rules closely I found color assignment constraints only in the tie breaker section.  While there may be justification for either color in this last game (see IdahoEv and Fritzlein above), the tie breaker rules favor the colors that were used.  Since this game has been played, I rule that the result stands.

Perhaps color assignment rules could be more explicit next year.

Tournament Director

But the main reason I opened the thread was to talk about scheduling.  Last year the Computer Championship started January 8, which is just when the human championship is going to start this year.  Are they going to run simultaneously?  They certainly could, except for the extra strain this places on Omar.

I suppose we could still have the Computer Championship in December, although it would cramp the schedule a bit to announce that only now.  On the other hand, if there aren't any bot developers who are planning to put in some work this year, a short window between announcing the schedule and running the tournament matters less.

If we have the Computer Championship after the World Championship, then the schedule would be roughly

January-March: World Championship
April-May: Computer Championship
June: Challenge Qualifying
June-July: Arimaa Challenge

When would the Postal Tournament start?  It used to start after the Challenge was over, but maybe the three defenders can handle playing in both the Postal Tournament and in the Challenge, in which case the Postal Tournament could start in April, and probably still finish in 2008.  So

April-November: Postal Tournament

This is just a thought; it's all good as long as the Postal Tournament comes after the World Championship and the computer events happen in oder: Computer Championship, Challenge Qualifying, Arimaa Challenge.  With those two orders preserved, the human events and computer events could overlap.
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2007, 12:14pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

Re: 2008 Computer Championship format
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10th, 2007, 4:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I would personally rather see a later computer championship, but realistically this is probably only a difference between no entry and an astoundingly weak possible entry. Wink

Maybe overlapping human finals and the computer championship wouldn't be too taxing for Omar?

Janzert
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.