Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 12:56am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « WC ; wrong pairing ?? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   WC ; wrong pairing ??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: WC ; wrong pairing ??  (Read 857 times)
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

WC ; wrong pairing ??
« on: Jan 6th, 2008, 11:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,

I notice the pairings are not the expected swiss pairings, but folding pairings. Did I misunderstood the rules ? Or did they change ? Or is there a problem ? I'll be sending an email to Omar and Ron just in case.

Bye

Jean
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: WC ; wrong pairing ??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 6th, 2008, 3:09pm »

You have it right, Jean, these are not Swiss pairings.  Omar told me he would correct the situation, hopefully by Sunday night (our time zone).  But whether or not he can get his software fixed in time, the first round will be played with Swiss pairings rather than the ones sent out yesterday.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 6th, 2008, 9:45pm »

The correct round one pairings are now up.  Thanks, Omar!
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 3:20pm »

Hmm, it looks like the round 2 pairings are wrong too.  Woh should play megamau, not Aamir, and that messes up lower pairings too.  Omar, did you use the old pairing program instead of the corrected one?
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 3:40pm »

I have a question about the round 3 pairings.  I agree that Omar is the highest rated 1-1 player, and thus plays against woh.  And subs2000 is the lowest rated 1-1 player and plays against megamau.

That leaves 10 players with identical 1-1 records and identical strength of schedule.  So shouldn't the matchups be?:

jdb vs fritzleinforpresident
naveed vs froody
mistre vs ChrisB
ArifSyed vs Aamir
Camelback vs Emaad

Am I missing something?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 3:44pm »

I'm pretty sure the round three pairings are wrong too, according to the algorithm outlined in the rules.  The pairings as they are posted now are:

Fritzlein vs. arimaa_master
chessandgo vs. 99of9
Adanac vs. PMertens
woh vs. omar

mistre vs. jdb
ArifSyed vs. naveed
camelback vs. fritzlforpresident
Emaad vs. ChrisB
froody vs. Aamir

subs2000 vs. megamau
Fisma vs. soldier
zackry vs. Amina
Sana vs. silump5

I agree with the top four pairings and the bottom four pairings.  One of the twelve players who is 1-1 must play up to make the top group even, and one must play down to make the bottom group even.  Omar is the only 1-1 player with three tiebreak points, and subs2000 is the only 1-1 player with one tiebreak point, so Omar must play up and subs2000 must play down.  So far so good.

However, when it comes to the remaining ten players who are all 1-1, they all have two tiebreak points as well.  For each of them, if you add up the wins of their two opponents, you get two wins.  Since there is no in-tournament criterion for saying which of these players has performed better, you have to fall back on pre-tournament rating.  In this case the order is:

jdb
naveed
mistre
ArifSyed
camelback
fritzlforpresident
froody
ChrisB
Aamir
Emaad

Swiss pairing in this group mandates

jdb vs. fritzlforpresident
naveed vs. froody
mistre vs. ChrisB
ArifSyed vs. Aamir
camelback vs. Emaad

Please double-check your pairing software to see if it is ordering the middle group correctly.  It might be that it is treating the second game differently than the first game, which it should not, according to the algorithm.  

If you think your program is correct, I'd like to see the debugging output so I can find where I made my error.  Thanks in advance!
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 3:45pm »

on Jan 20th, 2008, 3:40pm, Adanac wrote:
Am I missing something?

Heheh, there's a former player-of-Swiss-chess-tournaments talking!  Looks like you beat me to it, Adanac.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2008, 3:45pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #7 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 4:07am »

on Jan 20th, 2008, 3:44pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Fritzlein vs. arimaa_master
chessandgo vs. 99of9
Adanac vs. PMertens
woh vs. omar  

I agree with the top four pairings ...

I simply do not agree with this pairingl Cheesy (specially with the first one Smiley)
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 8:01am »

Hehe, you would rather play chessandgo?  Wink  But don't worry, I will lose to you in round three because I want to avoid playing chessandgo in round four, which will happen if all the favorites win...
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2008, 8:03am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #9 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 8:26am »

Thanks for noticing this Greg and Karl. Fortunately it was just an operator error and not a problem with the pairing algorithm.

The result of round 1 had been counted twice. I've fixed it and here is the current tournament state file:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wc/2008/rounds/tournState
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 10:01am »

Thanks for fixing it, and thanks for the link to the tournament state so I can double-check my commentary page.
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #11 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 2:35pm »

I am glad someone noticed this and it is fixed.  It would have been very harsh for either JDB or myself if we had to face each other in Round 3.
IP Logged

arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #12 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 5:25am »

on Jan 21st, 2008, 8:01am, Fritzlein wrote:
Hehe, you would rather play chessandgo?  Wink  But don't worry, I will lose to you in round three because I want to avoid playing chessandgo in round four, which will happen if all the favorites win...

Cheesy  ok, I will remind you that after our game Smiley   (I prefer my opponent to be  in this order: woh, omar,, adanac, 99of9, PMertens, Fritzlein, Chessandgo). The reason is obvious Wink.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:52am »

Hmm, you have raised PMertens two spots from his 2008 tournament seeding but lowered him a spot from his finish in the 2007 World Championship.  It's always interesting to see people's subjective rankings.

In any event, the best opponents in Swiss tournaments are not always so clear.  I could reason that if I win our game, in round four I will probably lose to either chessandgo or PMertens, and as long as I am going to lose I would rather lose to chessandgo (who will get me the full six tiebreaker points) than to PMertens (who will gloat about his victory, then blunder horribly in the next round, costing me tiebreaker points).  Tongue
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.