Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 5:38am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2008 Computer Championship and Challenge Match »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2008 Computer Championship and Challenge Match
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2008 Computer Championship and Challenge Match  (Read 841 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

2008 Computer Championship and Challenge Match
« on: Oct 31st, 2007, 9:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Everyone,

Info on the upcoming computer championship and challenge match are posted here:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wcc/2008/

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/challenge/2008/

Please feel free to provide any feedback you have. Thanks.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 2008 Computer Championship and Challenge Match
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 4:06pm »

I see a possible issue.  The schedule reads "Challenge games: Mar 9th 2008 to Mar 29rd 2008".  However, this will probably overlap with the finals of the World Championship.  People who are already worried about fitting in one long, serious game per week may have hesitations about volunteering for a second as a Challenge defender.

Of course, we are so far ahead of the computers that it doesn't require much effort from anyone likely to be in the World Championship finals to beat the top bot every time, so it isn't a huge extra burden.  Alternatively, we could easily have all of the defenders come from outside the top ranks.  But even if I were the #15 player, I would have hesitations about volunteering to be a defender (which must be done before January 12, and thus before the Swiss qualifier) on the chance that I might it to make the finals of the World Championship and have my hands full during March.

Furthermore, we should have some hesitation about having the Challenge happen at the same time as the finals of the World Championship simply on the principle that spectator events should be spread out a little for viewing pleasure, rather than crammed together.  True, the Challenge is less exciting than the World Championship at the moment, but that may not always be true.  If the Challenge is even a little bit competitive, then it shouldn't overlap the World Championship at all.  It seems a bad precedent to set.

For all these reasons, it makes more sense to me to have the Challenge start in April, perhaps concurrently with the start of the Postal Tournament.  The computer qualifying period could be delayed accordingly, or it could be extended so that players have a full month to test themselves against the top two bots, hopefully generating more community participation.

IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 12:39pm »

How many developers have registered so far?  It looks like the registration deadline is the end of this month.
IP Logged

arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #3 on: Jan 11th, 2008, 5:04am »

on Jan 7th, 2008, 12:39pm, Fritzlein wrote:
How many developers have registered so far?  It looks like the registration deadline is the end of this month.

I am curious too.
IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #4 on: Jan 11th, 2008, 8:07pm »

I haven't registered Zombie yet, but I plan to.    

Sadly, no major improvements since last year; I suffered a bad work experience in the fall that put me severely in debt and I've been trying to dig myself out since then.  No time for fun projects like Arimaa development.  Sad
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12th, 2008, 4:57pm »

There is a link now on the computer championship page now to show who is registered. Currently only Bomb is registered, but others have indicated to me that they will be registering also.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wcc/2008/
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 12:21pm »

Thanks for adding the link, Omar.  Looks like the field is wide open.  Smiley
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 26th, 2008, 8:36am »

on Jan 11th, 2008, 8:07pm, IdahoEv wrote:
I haven't registered Zombie yet, but I plan to.    

Sadly, no major improvements since last year; I suffered a bad work experience in the fall that put me severely in debt and I've been trying to dig myself out since then.  No time for fun projects like Arimaa development.  Sad

I'm sorry to hear that, IdahoEv.  Money worries are no fun at all, and they tend to sap the fun out of every other activity even when you do take time out from work to try to relax.

Even without Zombie I'm surprised only four bots are registered with only five days of registration left.  Last year's participants Aami-ra and Gnobot are also absent, as are newcomer OpFor, university project bot_4th_year, and two or three other new bots registered in the past few months.  Perhaps developers are demoralized by being unable to beat Bomb?  Or is the obstacle the new $15 registration fee?  I guess if you don't expect your bot to win two games before losing three, the entry fee now outweighs the prize fee.  That would certainly be the case with my bot, if I had one. Smiley
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #8 on: Jan 26th, 2008, 2:04pm »

Yeah, I won't at all be surprised at not recovering the entry fee with OpFor. But I do plan to enter though, mostly just procrastination so far. Along with a minor worry about getting it working under linux, but I expect that to be surmountable.

Janzert
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 27th, 2008, 9:43pm »

Excellent, Janzert, I'm glad that you plan to participate.  OpFor just might do better than you think.  Cool
IP Logged

IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #10 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 1:29pm »

on Jan 26th, 2008, 8:36am, Fritzlein wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that, IdahoEv.  Money worries are no fun at all, and they tend to sap the fun out of every other activity even when you do take time out from work to try to relax.

Thanks for the support, Fritzlein.  It has been a rough road, though hopefully the end is in sight, I expect to be back in the black by the end of February.    Arimaa is still in my heart and with a little luck and dedication I may be able to do the Java port of Zombie and get back to my static eval research later this year.  Combining the two would make Zombie quite strong for 2009, I think.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.